Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*

Wish me luck, installing tomorrow along with a Spec 4. Found this on ebay.

12.8 pounds
100% Chrome-moly
SFI approved 12,000rpm
Starter ring gear is cast from mold, not attached.
Came with dowel pins
$225

More info here Flywheel info

This should be the only thing left from keeping my 3900lb pig out of the 11's SI! Old clutch was slipping off theline and the top of each gear.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*-imga0333.jpg   Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*-imga0334.jpg   Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*-imga0336.jpg   Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*-imga0338.jpg   Chrome-moly flywheel *PICS*-imga0337.jpg  

Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

let me know how that goes after about 1800 miles. i have that same flywheel and Stage 3 Lightweight Spec and it gave out on me at 1800 miles. started slipping bad. So far Specs blaming it on the flywheel saying there to hard to brake in and chrome moly fly's quote "Chromemoly can be a bit hard to wear in and if it's not perfectly flat to begin with, it will be almost impossible to fully break-in"
Old 11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Suddenly, I'm not feeling so well. I am only gonna have 3 days to drive it before the track. Planning on having at least 300 miles on it prior to the track on Saturday. Should I have it turned just to be safe?

I'm thinking that it was probably the reduced pad coverage of the Spec 3 that made it slip. I know the 4 has some beefy ceramic pads.

How much harder is Chjrome Molly than billit steel?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your running a scattershield,right?

A lighter clutch assembly can make the car slower down the 1/4. You'll probly have to launch on the rev limiter.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

No scattersheild. Its just a bolt on car. I left around 5500 rpm before on the stock clutch.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

to maybe be on the safe side i would have it checked out. as far as i'm concerned anything new should go in without a problem or it's consider defected . i'm also thinking the problem i was having for that simple fact it was working perfect before my problems happen, is that the spacer you put behind the slave cylinder that comes with the Clutch was push on the clutch keeping it slightly disengaged until after it broke in some then just started slipping. I noticed this b/ i have no play in the pedal to where it starts to disengage

Originally Posted by 347fairless
Suddenly, I'm not feeling so well. I am only gonna have 3 days to drive it before the track. Planning on having at least 300 miles on it prior to the track on Saturday. Should I have it turned just to be safe?

I'm thinking that it was probably the reduced pad coverage of the Spec 3 that made it slip. I know the 4 has some beefy ceramic pads.

How much harder is Chjrome Molly than billit steel?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

The car feels amazing with the new setup. Pulls harder up top. Launching is another story... sucks is an understatement
Old 11-21-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

I had that flywheel, noticed that the SPEC3 clutch disc i have doesnt allow 100% contact witht he flywheel... JUNK! So i pawned the bitch on ebay!!!

Twin disc maybe in store for next season...
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

hows the clutch performing with the chrome molly flywheel?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Lets just say I have been extremely hard on it since it went in. I gave it about 400 miles before busting off 15 passes at the track. I have also ran numerous times on the street.

I can not get the car to hook like it used to. It is a completely different car. There is a fine line between spin and hook, and I have not found it yet. Liteweight plus instant clutch grab equals SPIN if you try to drop the clutch from any kind of decent rpm. Now my MTDR's were beat, so I am going back with a fresh pair before writing it off. I know suspension will help get me that 11, but I know I can get is full weight, on DR's and SI.

i also noticed that my spec 4 did not contact the flywheel 100%. Probably only 75%. The bottom of the pad hangs off about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch, where the pad gets narrow toward the center of the disc. I was in a rush, frustrated, and installed it anyways. Seems to hold just fine for my power level. Definetly a conern once the power gets stepped up. I have some chatter at start, intermitantly.

the only way I can describe the flywheel is like this: You know how sometimes your car feels sluggish for some reason, wether it be just a mental feeling or what not...well, now the car ALWAYS feels crisp, at any RPM. Especially up top.

I am not happy with how the car feels during power shifts. In fact, I went from probably a 95% success rate to a 60% success rate between the gears. And that is any gear, not just 2nd to third. Its so unreliable that I may abandon powershifting with this clutch/flywheel combo.

Last edited by 347fairless; 11-27-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get the thing apart at any point down the road, lay a good straight edge across the surface, and post up some pics. I'd like to see if it remained flat. I don't necessarily know if it was this flywheel, but I have heard of some of the ebay type flywheels cupping very badly after a few heat cycles. I'd like to see if this unit does the same.