Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Since I can't post on camarov6.com yet.. trans question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since I can't post on camarov6.com yet.. trans question

I've got a little engine swap project going on and I am using a L67 S/C 3.8L engine, but I don't know what transmission to use. Factory L67 hp is ~240-250ish, and I would like about 300hp. I've been doing some reading and it seems the V6 camaro 5sp is WEAK, even at stock N/A 3.8L power levels. I completely despise automatic transmissions in sports cars. But the only RWD manual trans that bolts up to a 3.8 is the camaro 'box (or is there an S10 'box I'm not aware of?). The only way I can see myself using an automatic is with a full manual valve body, but shifting from 4 - 1 at every stop will suck. Another question I have is : is there a stronger transmission that I can bolt up to a V6 camaro 5sp bellhousing? Is the V6 camaro bellhousing even removable? I'm hoping a ford V8 (or V6 I guess.. if it's stronger than a GM V6 5sp) will bolt up to the V6 5sp bellhousing. I highly doubt the ford V6 5sp is any better than the GM 5sp, they're probably the same 'box. I'm also going to assume that a T56 has a 0.001% chance of bolting up to a 5sp bellhousing.

ok.... annd... GO!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, I dont think the rear face of block bolt pattern is the same on a 3.8L so you may have concerns with getting a bell. I would not waste time on a T5 as no matter which set of gears you go with, you will be at the edge with the T5 at best. Assuming you get a bell to bolt up, I would go with a T56 but you could consider a TKO-500 5 speed as well.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want a stick, but you don't want to shift from a higher gear to a lower gear at every stop?

I think you should stick with an automatic.

Quick Reply: Since I can't post on camarov6.com yet.. trans question