Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny mount going bad??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny mount going bad??

I've noticed a lot vibration from underneath the shifter console at above 3k rpm, especially while getting on it. So I took the boot off and watched the shifter, the shifter base actually under the torque touches part of the inside console and is causing the loud annoying vibration. Would this be an indication of a bad tranny mount? If so could someone recommend a good replacement. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

they dont jjust start going bad there either bad or there not. depending on how much vibration it should be normal
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple ways to stop the tranny from rocking...poly tranny mount (easiest), or poly motor mounts (PITA, but they do work well). Although a transmission mount isn't a wear item per se, they do go bad after a while, as they are only rubber, and are subjected to a fair amount of stress and vibration.

I'd recommend going with a poly transmission mount, and don't use the preload plate. The install is nothing more than dropping the trans cross member, replacing the mount, and bolting the cross member back in place. The mounts are available at your local auto parts store (they usually carry the Energy Suspension ones).
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fuseone
they dont jjust start going bad there either bad or there not. depending on how much vibration it should be normal
Thanks for that shitty reply, you know what i meant.

MeentSS02- Thanks man, appreciate your help.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the torque arm mounts? Wear there can do exactly what you describe.
BTW you might want to work on your rude atteude to people who are lending help . Vuncanized rubber mounts do not fracture slowly. They are simply attached or not.There was nothing "shitty"about his reply but there certainly was with yours.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

calhoon is right have a little respect everyone is here to help everyone but as meents02SS was saying go to autozone get a new tranny mount i think mine was $21 it only takes about 30 min to put it in
Old 11-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by austin21
calhoon is right have a little respect everyone is here to help everyone but as meents02SS was saying go to autozone get a new tranny mount i think mine was $21 it only takes about 30 min to put it in
Honestly, I don't blame him for his statement. Not everyone is here to help everyone...there are some complete dumbasses around (300bhp/ton is my favorite ). I've even been guilty of being a bit terse with a few people on here...it happens, and some people take greater offense than others. Not right or wrong, just different view points and experiences.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Regular

What will one experience when switching to a poly mount on a m6 VS stocker ?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by minesfaster
What will one experience when switching to a poly mount on a m6 VS stocker ?
You might get some more vibration...but other than that, your shifter will be much more stable and won't rock side to side or up and down as much. That's about it.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

If you get the Energy Suspension mount, I recomment NOT using the preload plate as well as grinding down the preload bumps.

I tested 3 different ways of setting it up, with preload, without, and lastly no preload plate and no bumps. The last one pretty much resembles stock in terms of vibrations since my stock one still looked mint after 8 years.