Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

G/F's Clutch is slipping...got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G/F's Clutch is slipping...got a few questions

This is not exactly fbody related, but my g/f clutch is slipping and wanted a few questions answered. Everybody here seems to know their stuff.

We went to get her grandma on Thanksgiving and as I was riding in her car, her clutch would slip when going up a hill on occasion. The motor wouldn't quite free-rev but a 500-1000rpm slip over where it should be and then the rpm's would drop back down where they should be. I had her do the "highway slip test" by having her punch it in 5th while at speed on the highway and the clutch would obviously slip quite a bit, but if she tried to do it again 1/4 mile down the road, it wouldn't slip. Her clutch engagement is almost right off of the floor but has been for quite awhile, so that is nothing new. The clutch was replaced roughly 2 years ago. This is a FWD car btw. Forgot to mention that when she was driving it, when she changes gears, the car acts as if she is riding the clutch after changing the gear for a second or 2 before everything "settles down". She knows how to drive a standard so I know she isn't riding the clutch when she tells me she wasn't.

Anybody have any input on this? How long will a clutch last slipping like this? I'm gonna have to get this fixed one way or another using my money since she is a full time student currently (before the car leaves her stranded). Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

something like that is hard to predict. It could last a month..or a day. How many miles are on it? a lot of stop and go? does she ride the clutch a lot to start?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
something like that is hard to predict. It could last a month..or a day. How many miles are on it? a lot of stop and go? does she ride the clutch a lot to start?
As far as miles, I would say around 20k on that clutch, maybe less. Quite a bit of stop and go driving but she doesn't appear to ride the clutch much when starting off.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dyosis
As far as miles, I would say around 20k on that clutch, maybe less. Quite a bit of stop and go driving but she doesn't appear to ride the clutch much when starting off.
doesn't sound like it'll last long, specially if she still drives in the stop and go.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

I drove like 6 months with a slipping clutch (daily beater not the camaro) It all depends on how much you beat the crap out of it and how often you drive the car. I think the 6 month thing was really out of the ordinary because I thought it would break sooner than it did. This type of question is like asking how long will my 10 bolt break after I hear alot of noise only time will tell and hopefully it lasts long enough for you to repair it before it breaks.

Quick Reply: G/F's Clutch is slipping...got a few questions