Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

X-mas gift to myself. Mcleoud or Textralia....Few questionrs search didn't answer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X-mas gift to myself. Mcleoud or Textralia....Few questionrs search didn't answer

I had wanted the Mcleoud forever, but the more I search on this wonderful site, the more I'm liking the Textralia. I would be doing the install possibly myself, if not, then at a local shop. How hard is this textralia to install. I read about people using shimms and crap, and having to drill holes or something. How hard is it. Will the clutch hold a heads cam setup and drive stock, then later on hold a possible turbo setup?

Is the textralia the clutch I want. Is this the clutch thats best to hold my cam only setup until I get heads, and then later on hold a turbo? Also can it use the Ram adjustable master cylinder. I read it souldn't be used with the Mcleoud but will the Ram work alright???

Is the textralia what I want or do I want the mcleoud? I need a clutch that will last and I read that a few people have broken the Mcleoud, and drivetrain parts with the Mceloud.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

I've heard great things about the Textralia. But I have never owned one myself. I have run a Mcleod Twin from the beginning. It definitely does not drive like stock, but I love the feel. On/Off. I ran my Twin for 10,000 hard street/track miles. It let go a few months ago, but I had the whole thing rebuilt at Mcleod for $300!!! I put it in, drove 2 miles, loaded it on the trailer and took it to the track to beat on it. And it never missed a beat. With that said, for what you are looking to do, I would suggest a Tex Single from what I have seen. Hopefully some Tex owners will chime in. But, I will tell you, from experience, the Mcleod Twin holds hard!!!

Last edited by 1BDHWK; 11-29-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DEFF> the mcleod.... u know my thoughts chris....... and just like 1bdhwk said.... after beating the **** out of it for 10k exactly like i did.... they are rebuildable for very cheap.... i will never use a diff clutch in my life......
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and also the mcleod comes with a new master so forget about that ram....
Old 11-30-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

any other opinions on the two?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Launching!

anyone know where i can get a McLeod adjustable clutch master cylinder
Old 11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any sponsor on the site for the most part. Anyways, check on your own or make your own post, please don't go ahead and hijack the thread. Anyways, any other opinions out there on the things mentioned that I couldn't find through searching
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

i wasnt "hi-jacking" the thread. You were on the subject and i figured you, or someone would just tell me where to get one.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Up top, will give you a call sometime BYUNSPEED
Old 12-01-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

I have the Textralia oz700 in my car now. I'm very pleased so far. I had a spec in there for 4K miles and took the tranny out to rebuild it. The spec looked like it had 15K miles on it. It was waring uneven. And had major hot spots in it. I think from slipping it. Trying to pamper it during the break in period. It also chattered badly for the first 3K miles.

The tex didnt really chatter at all. It drives almost like stock. So the break in period seemed shorter. And it will hold a great deal of power with out any problems. My first trip to the track with a 150 shot and 390 rwhp netted me a new best of 10.82 backed by a few more high 10's. I was dropping it at 4500 rpm's and it would dead hook cutting low 1.50 60's.

So I am very pleased with this clutch. I have put 5K miles on it and it seems to work just fine.

This is just my take on the matter. Hope it helps.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

That helps a great deal. I hear too many horror stories of ppl blowing drivetrain parts with the mcleoud, that certainly is not something I want to do when I go ahead and throw a $2300 rear in the car, and don't feel like spending that twice. Bad enough the clutch is going to be like 900-1200.

I really apreciate your posting about your experiences with the clutch. Any more happy customers?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
That helps a great deal. I hear too many horror stories of ppl blowing drivetrain parts with the mcleoud, that certainly is not something I want to do when I go ahead and throw a $2300 rear in the car, and don't feel like spending that twice. Bad enough the clutch is going to be like 900-1200.

I really apreciate your posting about your experiences with the clutch. Any more happy customers?
People with McLeod's that are breaking drivetrain parts, don't have the supporting drivetrain components for a heavy launch. I'll admit, I shattered a steel driveshaft with my McLeod and a 9", but then I put in a Denny's Nitrous Ready DS in and have never looked back. Once again, everyone will have their own opinion. I just love that I can rebuild my McLeod for next to nothing. Good luck with your choice, it's always a tough one.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
People with McLeod's that are breaking drivetrain parts, don't have the supporting drivetrain components for a heavy launch. I'll admit, I shattered a steel driveshaft with my McLeod and a 9", but then I put in a Denny's Nitrous Ready DS in and have never looked back. Once again, everyone will have their own opinion. I just love that I can rebuild my McLeod for next to nothing. Good luck with your choice, it's always a tough one.

yeah same thing with me i had a denny's nitrous ready and a 9 inch and never broke a thing on my car ever....... by the way this is fran chris....
Old 12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Mcleod single kevlar. The pedal is a little heavier but it has never chattered. I got over 30,000 miles on it and it still holds 6,000 rpm dumps on ET Streets. Never had a problem with this clutch. Just put it in and forgot about it.