Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what qualifies as a warranty repair?

Old 11-29-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what qualifies as a warranty repair?

i have a couple issues with my tranny, and since the car is still under GM majorguard warranty, i figure i'd try to let the dealership fix it. assuming i can find a 'mod friendly' dealership (the only visible mods that will stand out are a pro 5.0, and a bunch of red BMR suspension parts that), how bad does a tranny have to be before they will fix/rebuild a tranny?

issues are:
1) shifting is notchy. its not getting worse, but its not smooth like when i first got the car. probably just needs a clutch bleed? so will they consider that an actual problem, or consider it to be 'maintainance' and not covered under warranty?

2) sometimes grinds on a high rpm shift into 3rd. car is an 01, and does not have the drill mod. syncros or sliders maybe?

assuming i can find a dealership that will play my game, my goal is to get a HD tranny rebuild by supplying the HD parts myself and just having them installed under the general's dollar. has anyone ever tried this before?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

T T T
Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
i have a couple issues with my tranny, and since the car is still under GM majorguard warranty, i figure i'd try to let the dealership fix it. assuming i can find a 'mod friendly' dealership (the only visible mods that will stand out are a pro 5.0, and a bunch of red BMR suspension parts that), how bad does a tranny have to be before they will fix/rebuild a tranny?

issues are:
1) shifting is notchy. its not getting worse, but its not smooth like when i first got the car. probably just needs a clutch bleed? so will they consider that an actual problem, or consider it to be 'maintainance' and not covered under warranty?

2) sometimes grinds on a high rpm shift into 3rd. car is an 01, and does not have the drill mod. syncros or sliders maybe?

assuming i can find a dealership that will play my game, my goal is to get a HD tranny rebuild by supplying the HD parts myself and just having them installed under the general's dollar. has anyone ever tried this before?

First off, I would install a stock shifter before going to any dealer considering the problems you're having....

Even if they're Mod Firendly, I'd guess they'd just say it's normal among aftermarket shifters just to get you out the door

1) If bleeding the system actually solves your problem, I doubt they would charge you for it, but I'd push to have either the slave or master (or both) replaced as air in the system usually means there's a leak

2) There's a TSB on the shift forks for 01's, so you might want to have them take a look at that...

If it comes down to having the transmission rebuilt, make sure the tech has at least 10 SUCCESSFUL rebuilds under his belt before making an attempt...

If he doesn't, go to another dealer or request a field tech with more experience to come and do the work....

As for having a dealer install upgraded parts under warranty, I know of a few people that did this and it ended up biting them in the ****

A buddy of mine needed a new clutch installed in his car and worked out a deal with the dealership to do the install under warranty if he supplied an aftermarket clutch....

They installed an early batch McLeod that didn't work and he ended up having to pay the labor hours and then some

Another friend somehow ruined the valvtrain on his motor and went in for warranty work....

He cut a deal to have the dealer install a GM Hotcam under warranty if he paid for the extra cost of the parts

Turns out it was an early hotcam that wasn't coated and it got torn up in time

I'd say your best bet would be to grease the SM with some green and get him to order up a replacement trans with all new hydraulics

Rick
Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the shifter is hit or miss cause they sell a factory hurst ss. The suspension won't mean anything. The notchy shifting they probably won't look twice at because some cars from the factory were very notchy and some were smooth. The grind on high rpm shift, they're gonna say that your abusing it more than likely. Now if it was grinding all the time, its adiffernt story, how long to you have left on the warranty?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
the shifter is hit or miss cause they sell a factory hurst ss. The suspension won't mean anything. The notchy shifting they probably won't look twice at because some cars from the factory were very notchy and some were smooth. The grind on high rpm shift, they're gonna say that your abusing it more than likely. Now if it was grinding all the time, its adiffernt story, how long to you have left on the warranty?
warranty is valid until 4/27/07

the car came with the hurst option. i'm reusing the stock upper shifter stick, ****, and boot. so visually it looks stock until they take it apart and see the pro 5.0

i still have the stock shifter, so i could always put it back on before bringing it in.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
2) There's a TSB on the shift forks for 01's, so you might want to have them take a look at that...
any chance you have a link to that TSB handy? having trouble finding it.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i work at a gm dealership. make sure that you can show the advisor that the tranny grinds and that there is a problem. i would re-install the factory shifter because if the warranty company sends out a adjuster he's going to try and find any reason to deny your claim. if they do rebuild it they can only replace what is broken. if the adjuster comes out he's going to take pics of everything and the tech will have to explain all the broken parts and why he's replacing them. you might be able work something out on the side with the tech. good luck
Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
the shifter is hit or miss cause they sell a factory hurst ss.

I'd say it's a miss cause the stock and factory Hurst shifters don't have adjustable stops like the aftermarket ones

And the mere fact that the power Tower has "Pro 5.0" clearly stamped on it will just give the adjuster a reason to flag it, regardless of what the SEMA warranty committee has to say about it

Better to just install the factory shifter before it becomes a warranty headache...

As for the TSB number, I don't have it saved on this laptop, but I'm sure it's posted somewhere in this forum....

Rick

Search this Thread