Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question T56 Install

Ok, I got the slave on and jacked up the trans for install. I can now see the output shaft has to be dead on to slide in, and it's not totally level since the engine is tilted slightly on the motor mounts since the trans is out. I had no success last night. Is it just supposed to slide in with ease after trying multiple angles? I don't want to try and force it, but at the same time, how much effort is expected to slide in? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Get ready for a fight man. The tranny is a PITA to get back in on your back under the car. You will probably need some help to get it lined up like that. When I installed mine, I had to get it started and then take a pair of channel locks to reach up and grab the input shaft and rotate it to line up with the clutch disk. It would then go another 3 or 4 inches until the input shaft had to go into the pilot bearing. At this point, you should be able to start a few of the tranny bolts and pull it all together evenly by tightening the bolts up. Thats how I did it anyway....
Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont forget to open the bleeder valve on the slave or it wont go in...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

I finally got it in this evening. I have a cheaper tranny jack with an adjusting angle wing nut, so I loosened this all the way (I had it tightened the night before). This allowed me to get it started and I pushed, wiggled, etc from the tail, the front , etc and only got 1/2 or so. I then remembered how the engine mounts flexed a little up and down, so I tried a yoga move and got on my back under the motor and put my feet on the bellhousing/oil pan and gently pushed up/down while pulling on the trans - the tranny slid all the way in flush without much effort at all. I don't have a photo of that move, but it wasn't too umcomfortable. I quickly got my bolts and threaded them. Thanks for the info. If I didn't do this yoga move, I can see myself still out there cursing.

Last edited by MrEddie; 12-06-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phlip00WS6
Dont forget to open the bleeder valve on the slave or it wont go in...

Hmm... Maybe that's why mine wouldn't go the last 1/2" -3/4". Wish I'd have known that.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

I forced mine together because I didnt know to do that But I am a dumbass so...