Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro 5.0 road noise?

Hey guys I just installed the 5.0 pro shifter, its great! But I can hear some road noise coming from the shifter, I can hear the gears a little bit, could it be that I didn't add enough of the gasket maker? Or that I didn't tight the bolts enough, Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Raven
Hey guys I just installed the 5.0 pro shifter, its great! But I can hear some road noise coming from the shifter, I can hear the gears a little bit, could it be that I didn't add enough of the gasket maker? Or that I didn't tight the bolts enough, Any help greatly appreciated.
Its normal. Did you reuse the big stock rubber boot? Even still, it will give more noise.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since i put new heads and cam in i cant even hear it anymore.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Mine does it too. I'd rather have the noise than the stock shifter.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

I literally get no road noise at all. At the same time I didn't cut the rubber boot eather.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

i had a little road noise, but i was more worried about the brand new rebuilt t56 when i heard the noise, since i had no idea what it was! Lol, like these guys said-its better than the stock ceiling stick...
Old 12-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Teching In

yeah, as long as it doesn't mean i installed it wrong or anything like that, guys have a point rather have little road noise than the stock shifter. Thanx Guys.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got some rubber gasket material from ACE hardware to make a gasket. I had seepage from using just plain old RTV...and when I switched to the Pro 5.0, I made a nice fitting rubber gasket for it. I still used RTV...just alittle smeared around to help seal it more. 800 + miles and no seeping. Also...and I believe this to be related to the rubber gasket, but I have almost no noise.

I cut the boot per the instructions, and thats all I have between the shifter and the leather shift boot up top. When the trans is cold, I can hear some noise while in neutral, but it goes away when in gear, and I can really hear it while moving. My car is pretty loud though (heads, cam, LTs, no cats, magnaflow)...but I dont hear any of the noise that some complain about with the shifter.

But if you can live with the noise, you can atleast feel good knowing that you installed it correctly! Just turn up the radio!

Justin
Old 12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I did my LSS I got some noise so I bought a 1/8 rubber sheet from the hardware store and cut out a few circles and put them in the **** and another square peice in between the stick where it bolts to the shifter. It quieted it right up.