Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls7 clutch kit

hey guys im getting the ls7 clutch kit for my 2001 SS for XMas, i was just wondering if i should get the updated slave cylinder and updated master cylinder, or do i already have it... the tranny is stock. reason im asking it b/c i heard somehwere that the '01's came with the updated slave/master. ??? thanks in advance -Josh
Old 12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, a new pilot bearing is mandatory right?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

You will need a new pilot bearing. Your 2001 should have the updated cylinders and post install you will certainly know. If your hydrolics begin to leak then you know you have a problem.

You should be just fine though, GM revised the cylinders in 2001-2002 for the LS6 clutch.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

'01 and '02 models were updated so you should be fine.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

funny this is the first thread that came up when I searched for the problem I just had. I have a RX7 that I am doing a LS1 swap into. I purchased a LS2 Fidanza aluminum flywheel and then the LS7 pressure plate and clutch from Scoggin Dickey. I purchase a new slave cylinder for an 02 Fbody with T56 as this was the car that the motor and tranny came out of. I just bled the clutch today and after getting pedal pressure it started leaking. We thoght it might be the lines but after pulling the tranny back out, we noticed that it was leaking straight through the casting at the 6 o'clock position. I assumed it must be a defect but now I am wondering if the slave is not the correct one. Scoggin Dickey sold it to me along with the clutch so I assume they gave me the correct part.

Any input would be helpfull. the last thing I want is to have the same thing happen again and have to pull the tranny all over. Is there a certain slave that must be used with the LS7 clutch?

Mike
Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Launching!

I'm using a plain-jane post-2001 slave with mine.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXSeven
funny this is the first thread that came up when I searched for the problem I just had. I have a RX7 that I am doing a LS1 swap into. I purchased a LS2 Fidanza aluminum flywheel and then the LS7 pressure plate and clutch from Scoggin Dickey. I purchase a new slave cylinder for an 02 Fbody with T56 as this was the car that the motor and tranny came out of. I just bled the clutch today and after getting pedal pressure it started leaking. We thoght it might be the lines but after pulling the tranny back out, we noticed that it was leaking straight through the casting at the 6 o'clock position. I assumed it must be a defect but now I am wondering if the slave is not the correct one. Scoggin Dickey sold it to me along with the clutch so I assume they gave me the correct part.

Any input would be helpfull. the last thing I want is to have the same thing happen again and have to pull the tranny all over. Is there a certain slave that must be used with the LS7 clutch?

Mike
Same slave. What size MC did you use on the RX?

Andrew
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Same slave. What size MC did you use on the RX?

Andrew
I am using the wilwood one from Hinson. I measured the slave to clutch clearances and they seem spot on(no shim needed). I get .020 short on slave side which is nothing. I was worried that the Fidanza flywheel might have required a shim but this is not the case. It bolts up like stock and this is a stock clutch. Dimensions should all be stock.

We think that it is a bad slave because the fluid is coming straight through the casting not the center around the bearing. When people overextend the slave and blow out the seal, where do they leak?

I still have to check the length on the clutch rod. We did not get a chance to finish adjusting it.

Mike
Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXSeven
I am using the wilwood one from Hinson. I measured the slave to clutch clearances and they seem spot on(no shim needed). I get .020 short on slave side which is nothing. I was worried that the Fidanza flywheel might have required a shim but this is not the case. It bolts up like stock and this is a stock clutch. Dimensions should all be stock.

We think that it is a bad slave because the fluid is coming straight through the casting not the center around the bearing. When people overextend the slave and blow out the seal, where do they leak?

I still have to check the length on the clutch rod. We did not get a chance to finish adjusting it.

Mike
Mike,

It could very well be a bad slave. The stock F-body Mc has a 3/4" bore, same as the Wilwood that HInson sends out.

Andrew
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
hey guys im getting the ls7 clutch kit for my 2001 SS for XMas, i was just wondering if i should get the updated slave cylinder and updated master cylinder, or do i already have it... the tranny is stock. reason im asking it b/c i heard somehwere that the '01's came with the updated slave/master. ??? thanks in advance -Josh
You might want to replace the slave cylinder while your in there. It would suck to have your slave go out some time after you just replaced your clutch and have put everything back together.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

well this just gets worse. i have installed 2 more slave cylinders and they both leak as well. The first was definately defective as it was leaking through the housing. The 2nd one kept leaking around the bleeder where it screws into the slave. I had this one warrantied out as well, and the newest one is leaking in the same place.

It doesn't leak when you push the pedal, but after sitting a couple hours. We have bled the system and the pedal feels good. We sprayed the area with brake cleaner to clean all the brake fluid off the slave and housing and blew it dry with air. Then with a mirror and light we looked at the area around the blleder to make sure it had no fluid residue where it screws in. All is nice and dry. Pump the clutch a bunch of times and no fluid. Come back in 4-5 hours and there is drops coming out between the tranny and bell housing. Take the light and mirror to view the slave and it is dripping from where the bleeder screws in.

This is the same as the secound slave but we swapped it out for this one as we thought maybe we had over tightned the bleeder and damaged the seat. Now this one is doing the same thing. This should be a non issue. I have bled many cars and never had this problem. What gives.

Mike
Old 12-26-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind of fluid should i put into my tranny ???
Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

When I replaced my hydrolics I had the old version in my 01 t/a. You might want to check when you pull your trans. It should have a date stamp on it. The one I pulled out had double zero's for 2000 even though I had an 01.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

today i ordered: ls7 clutch , ls2 flywheel, ls1 pilot bearing, ls1 slave cylinder.... mrhzk35404 were you talking about your master or slave??? thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

should i do the drill mod while im at it??? im using the stock master cylinder....
Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

will be picking up parts tomorrow morning and begin to install... what torque specs will i need, i looked at install university on their write up but they dont give all the torq specs... also what fluid should i fill the tranny back up with? thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

t.t.t.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone have the torq specs???