Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How to remove/install the front seal T56

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove/install the front seal T56

Hi,

I am reassembling my T56 however I am unsure about replacing the front seal. The manual that I got off the internet is vague. I have two seals (rear and front) with the kit that I received from 'thegearbox' folks.

This should be one of the easiest parts of this job but I am a bit stumped. Would anyone with experience on this please let me know the correct procedure.

Thanks,

-Bob-
Austin, Texas
Old 12-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No replies from the list on this but just in case any other person comes across a similar dilemma I thought I'd share with the this forum my findings.

My biggest concern was the possibility of a front input seal leak and then having to tear the whole thing down again.

Here's a pic of the stock and replacement seal and also the reply from the great folks at thegearbox.org.

Hopes this helps someone else out.

HI BOB
THE MANUAL WE HAVE IS THE SAME BASIC THING YOU HAVE, THE SEAL IS VERY SIMPLE TO REMONE AND INSTALL. THE SEAL LOOKS DIFFERENT BUT ITS THE REPLACEMENT FOR THEM, JUST A DIFFERENT MANAFACTURER. YOU CAN USE A GOOD FLAT DLADED SCREWDRIVER AND REMOVE THE OLD ONE, THE NEW ONE WILL GO RIGHT IN. THEY MAKE SEAL INSTALLERS BUT ITS NOT REALLY NEEDED TO INSTALL IT. ON THE NEW SEAL PUT A THIN COAT OF RTV ON THE FLANGE AND TAKE A HAMMER AND GENTLY TAP AROUND THE FACE TO INSTALL IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF WE CAN BE OF FURTHER HELP.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove/install the front seal T56-z28_transmission_ls1techjpg.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to remove/install the front seal T56