Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rear trans seals not the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear trans seals not the same?

I bought a new rear main output shaft seal to put into my T56 and when I compare it to the original one still in the trans it looks different.The stock seal in the trans looks to have a dust boot (I think?) that sticks out of the back of the trans whereas the new Timken one does not.Looks like your standard trans seal.Is this gonna be an issue to use the new one without the dust boot (?) or will it be fine?Is the dust boot seperate?I would reuse if so but it is torn on the one side.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I checked with my GM parts distributor, there were 3 different part numbers for my year alone (98)

Had him send all 3 and two of them looked almost identical and the other didn't look anything like my original...

I just picked the one that looked closest to mine stuck it in....
Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onebad82z
I bought a new rear main output shaft seal to put into my T56 and when I compare it to the original one still in the trans it looks different.The stock seal in the trans looks to have a dust boot (I think?) that sticks out of the back of the trans whereas the new Timken one does not.Looks like your standard trans seal.Is this gonna be an issue to use the new one without the dust boot (?) or will it be fine?Is the dust boot seperate?I would reuse if so but it is torn on the one side.
I have the same problem/question with my rear seal. I was hoping to finish off this T56 rebuild project over the weekend but I ran into the same issue. I did sent a note to the folks at thegearbox.org and I'll re-post if I have any new info.

Btw, how did you replace the front seal? I am faced with the same dilemma with this seal. The replacement looks nothing like the one that is in my T56 although the inside diameter matches the OD of the input shaft.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ragtopzee
I have the same problem/question with my rear seal. I was hoping to finish off this T56 rebuild project over the weekend but I ran into the same issue. I did sent a note to the folks at thegearbox.org and I'll re-post if I have any new info.

Btw, how did you replace the front seal? I am faced with the same dilemma with this seal. The replacement looks nothing like the one that is in my T56 although the inside diameter matches the OD of the input shaft.
That would help alot..post back with results!

I have yet to open the box up...just replacing the rear seal right now.I didn't do a rebuild...just a swap into my car for now.Although when the time comes I plan to rebuild it myself...so if you don't mind could you post back with how you did change the front seal?

Quick Reply: Rear trans seals not the same?