Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Relocating shifter for T56?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating shifter for T56?

Hi folks, (sorry this is a little long)

I did a search for "move shifter." In one of those threads, somebody mentioned that there are three potential shifter locations for the T56. Most of the other threads I found were about moving the console or trans tunnel hole to accommodate the new shifter location.

I am building a highly modified Datsun 240-Z. I have a 2006 GTO LS2/T56 combo that I plan to put in the car. However, while mocking these in place today I found that the shifter location is going to be a bit too far back. I need to move the shifter forward at least 5'' to be comfortable (otherwise my elbow is hitting the rear bulkhead). Moving the entire engine and transmission forward is not an option, nor is moving the seat back (cockpit is pretty small).

On the transmission, the shifter sits on a small pedistal back over the tailshaft. The shifter has a ball and socket pivot at its base. Connected to the shifter is some bracketry that links it to a second ball and socket pivot about 3'' forward. The two move in unison when you move the shifter. It seems like this design was made to move the shifter backward these 3''.

So, the questions...

Is it possible to move the shifter location forward forward either (1) to the place where the forward ball/socket pivot is? (i.e., remove the rearward ball/socket and just place the shifter in the forward of the two positions) or (2) "flip" this shifter bracketry 180 degrees so that the shifter is 3'' forward of the second ball/socket? It looks like there would be some interference with the transmission housing... but perhaps it is doable.

Thanks for any help guys. I'm excited to get this thing in there!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We move the shifter to where the inspection cover is located. Mcleod makes a piece that moves the shifter forward. The down falls are it is a pain the the butt to do since you have to disassemble the transmission, cut the shift rail, drill the shift rail and reassemble. Not to mention the only shifters I know that you can use are the Mcleod ones. We do on average 2-3 relocations every other week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 12-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Joe. Moving it to the inspection cover location would probably work. If it is something you don't mind sharing, what kind of price for parts and labor is involved with the shifter relocation?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't need to go that extreme( $$ for rework/fabrication). Look for a 03/04 Cobra terminator or a Viper T56 and you will get where yo want to be without rework.

Quick Reply: Relocating shifter for T56?