Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is there a trick to getting the tranny to slip back in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a trick to getting the tranny to slip back in.

I have the transmissin up in place and started to slide it forward and it will not go the last 1". Have 2 friends trying to help me wiggle and slide it forward, but seems not to be working.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Why was the trans out? If it was for a new clutch make sure the alighment tool slides in and out easy. I just put mine in 30 min ago and it slid rite in. Just make sure it is straight and it should go easy.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the splines re aligned with the clutch install tool. get the trans close enough to start about 4 bolts. then try the wiggle technique again. make sure nothing is in the way. it took me a few times but the bolts helped keep the trans aligned with the block and dowels, and it finalyy went in. remember not to try to draw the trans up with the bolts though, you will either strip them or damage something in the clutch assembly.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

it sounds like you clutch isnt alligned correctly. id pull the trans back out and check it again.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSXNV
get the splines re aligned with the clutch install tool. get the trans close enough to start about 4 bolts. then try the wiggle technique again. make sure nothing is in the way. it took me a few times but the bolts helped keep the trans aligned with the block and dowels, and it finalyy went in. remember not to try to draw the trans up with the bolts though, you will either strip them or damage something in the clutch assembly.

I sucked it in w/ a couple bolts. It's been ion there for about 3k miles now. No problems. If you get ANY RESISTANCE at ALL when trying to draw it in w/ the bolts, don't force it! Like said, you can strip the BH or the bolts.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
it sounds like you clutch isnt alligned correctly. id pull the trans back out and check it again.

If that's the case, it's going to a tranny shop to get put back in. Replacing the SPEC CLutch I killed.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Just found out I do need to remove the clutch again.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM

Tranny is back up in place. I will finish up this week. Drinking took over working in the garage.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I sucked it in w/ a couple bolts. It's been ion there for about 3k miles now. No problems. If you get ANY RESISTANCE at ALL when trying to draw it in w/ the bolts, don't force it! Like said, you can strip the BH or the bolts.

thats what i did the other day, the bolts had no resticance on them though, just make sure you go around the tranny so one side doesnt get much tighter than the other at one time

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to getting the tranny to slip back in.