Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7 Clutch Trouble

I recently installed the LS7 clutch, LS2 flywheel, new gm slave, and new updated master cylinder. Ive bled the system and still I cant get any gear to go in while the car is on. What could be wrong?

Could I have installed the throwout bearing wrong? The new gm slave comes with a new throwout correct? Thats the one I used.

I have solid pedal pressure, when you hold down the clutch and try first gear it just grinds.

I really dont want to drop the tranny, but if I do what do I need to check?

ANy advice!!!Please.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the exact same boat...where did you get your clutch kit from?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

T56rebuilds.com you?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I recently installed the LS7 clutch, LS2 flywheel, new gm slave, and new updated master cylinder. Ive bled the system and still I cant get any gear to go in while the car is on. What could be wrong?

Could I have installed the throwout bearing wrong? The new gm slave comes with a new throwout correct? Thats the one I used.

I have solid pedal pressure, when you hold down the clutch and try first gear it just grinds.

I really dont want to drop the tranny, but if I do what do I need to check?

ANy advice!!!Please.

Try kicking the clutch pedal down (pretty hard) Does it go into gear now pretty easily - If so then you either need to use a different shim behind the slave or you need to just try to drive it for a few miles and the pedal should start to move back up to the top (it might take 100 miles or so for this to happen)
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I just did mine and kinda put alot of air in the system on accident haha - It's all good now but it engages really close to the floor - In my experience it moves up after a few miles - By the way mine was also the LS7 clutch, pp, and flywheel
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys arent reading ? It wont go into any gear when it is on. It trys, but it just grinds.

I guess i will pull the tranny this week and try to get of hold of some shims..

Where can I get shims.????
Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Teching In

I may be wrong but I have yet to see anyone need shims when using the LS7 clutch LS2 flywheel setup. I have installed three of these setups myself and have had zero problems w/ no shims. The only thing I have seen is the clutch wants to engage with the pedal right off the floor, but it will come up within a couple hundred miles.

You really might want to pull that trans again and see whats going on, something is deff wrong if it is grinding everytime you try to put it in gear.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

You don't need to shim the transmission...it won't go into gear because the clutch is not properly disengaged, causing the trans to spin. I can get mine into gear, but I have to force it and the tires spin with the clutch depressed.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got off the phone with T56rebuilds.com and they swear they seen this plenty of times recently and it is solved with a shim..!!

Oh man........
Old 01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I am having the same issue with an RPS Stage 3+ clutch. Clutch engagement/disengagement has always been about an 1" to 2" off the floor until recently. Now I can't get it into gear at all when the car is running and warmed up. The slave was new when I put the clutch in 8k miles ago.

I have bleed it using a whole pint of Motul RBF 600 fluid and there is absolutely no air in the system. I don't get it.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Teching In

I just kept the same shim that I put in with the spec 3+ and Im not really having a problem - except Im still waiting to see if the pedal will come back up after some miles
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

You should not need a shim. The ls7 clutch ls2 flywheel is a direct bolt in. I had the same problem when i finished my clutch saturday nite. What i did was start the car with it in gear, and the clutch should start to slip then. I just did that a few times, then i held the brake and let up on the pedal a lil bit to get the clutch to engage. After doing that it started acting beter i could get it in gear. so now i am at about 50 city miles, tonight i took it out for a lil ride and ran it trough the gears to about 5000rpm after that it felt much beter. Rite now the clutch is grabing about a inch from the floor.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

That's what i'm thinking...I can get it into gear, but if i hold the brakes it will not stall out...its like its slipping just a little bit. You think any damage would result to the clutch/pp if i were to attempt to drive it?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TwistedSS
That's what i'm thinking...I can get it into gear, but if i hold the brakes it will not stall out...its like its slipping just a little bit. You think any damage would result to the clutch/pp if i were to attempt to drive it?
That is what mine was doing after i drove it some it got beter the more i drove it the beter it got. Now it will go in gear easy but it catches very low, untill it gets broke in and gets a few WOT runs on it then it will come up to about normal
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Ok to set this straight - Yes I have a shim - It engaged a quarter inch of the floor for the first 25 miles - I went and drove about 88 miles today and it is now about an inch and a half off the floor - No one can tell you whether you need a shim or not because it is up too you - Drive it for awhile to see if it will settle up top if not then you can always install or remove a shim and make it perfect - but you have to remember : If you think that the clutch, p.p. and trans is all installed correctly then go drive it (as long as you dont force anything and dont go over 3000 rpm's you wont hurt the clutch itself

Don't go fooling around until you know your new setup is perfect - If you don't you will be left doing it again (500 miles is always a good number for break in for those who can't wait