Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

crazy low engagement....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crazy low engagement....

OK...I've been out of town this whole week and barely a second to my self last week so I havent really been able to mess with my car but I had a real low engagement...then it got worse. From a post I had on another thread I was told to put the car in 1st, rev to 4k or so and keep the clutch pedal pushed in and if the car pull fwd a little then your clutch is not fully disengaging. Well I started my car the other day after it sat for 2 days and the engagment was even lower...like barley raising the pedal and the car would pull....well I then kept the car in 1st and the pedal all the way to the floor and even at idle it pulled my car fwd slowly. When I get home Im going to re bleed my clutch and hope that helps cause I think I still have air in the system. Can air in the system cause this low engagement problem?? Its really got me concerned. My car just got a new Text oz700, new slave, pilot bearing and updated master that we did the drill mod too. The only thing is the car was down for 8 weeks so thats a long time to get air in the lines and we also didnt bleed the master that was used with 12k on it. Sorry for the long post...any ideas????
Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like it needs an adjustable master cylinder to adjust the engagement point. Most aftermarket clutches require this.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Air in the system can definitely cause a low engagement. Hydraulic fluid is not compressible, air is. What happens if there is air in there is you push the clutch pedal down, the air is compressed until the compressed reaches the same force as the clutch springs. The more air in there, the lower the engagement will be.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

That makes sense bowtie. Once I get home Im going to bleed it again. This time Im going to do the regular way by cracking the bleed port on the slave. When we were bleeding last time we couldnt get it yp bleed so I used a mityvac...it worked but I dont think it got it all out. I'll just have to see what happends.

98camaro - its not recomended to use an adjustable master with the text clutch.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's how to bleed the clutch, straight from Pete at Textralia:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=13