Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Who has blown up a clutch in their LS1 F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who has blown up a clutch in their LS1 F-body?

I am trying to convince myself that I need a scattershield, and was wondering if anyone here had blown up the clutch in an LS1 F-body? I do not recall reading about any, but surely it has happened.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I am trying to convince myself that I need a scattershield, and was wondering if anyone here had blown up the clutch in an LS1 F-body? I do not recall reading about any, but surely it has happened.
I have... But I was lucky. When it started to come apart, I shut her down. I have tiny pieces of metal that put holes in my stock bellhousing. I didn't make another run until I installed the scattershield. I could not imagine the devastation that could occur if the flywheel let go! I like my legs, so I plan on keeping them for a while.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

You're right, it surely has happened, a few different times that I can recall in my tenure here on LS1tech.

Not running a steel bellhousing or at the very least a 6spd tranny blanket is downright irresponsible if you use your car in any kind of high performance application. I'm running a SPEC3 clutch with an Exotic Muscle trans blanket currently - before this season, I'll be running a steel bellhousing and a Tex clutch.

In the rare event of an explosive clutch failure, thousands of dollars worth of damage can be avoided with a cheap, one time investment in either an upgraded bellhousing or a trans blanket. You'd be crazy not to do it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I am more worried about my feet than the car.

Is the McLoed the only steel option? What blankets are available? How much protection do they provide (I am trying to keep the car from gaining more weight)?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is what power level should one begin to worry.....
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you need a 12-bolt, you probably need a scatter shield IMO.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
Thanks. I am more worried about my feet than the car.

Is the McLoed the only steel option? What blankets are available? How much protection do they provide (I am trying to keep the car from gaining more weight)?
Feet are good things to keep around - I don't blame you a bit. Quite honestly, I'm so gung-ho about keeping the clutch in the bellhousing because I'm worried about my passenger's feet moreso than my own. Sure, I'd hate to be injured, but I'd especially hate my irresponsibility causing the disability of someone who trusted me enough to ride with me.

McLeod is your only option as far as steel bellhousings go, and they aren't a direct fit for an LS1 car - but they will work with slight modification. They're also SFI approved. This is the ultimate protection in the event of a clutch explosion. I'd say it weighs ~30lbs more than the stocker.

The only T56 specific trans blanket is the Exotic Muscle unit. It virtually won't add any weight, but I doubt it will contain the clutch in the event of a catastrophic failure half as good as the bellhousing would. It's also a fraction of the price - I guess that is the tradeoff. I'm running one now, and I feel much safer with it installed.
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The question is what power level should one begin to worry.....
Quite honestly, I'd recommend one at the time an aftermarket clutch is installed, even on stock cars that are driven hard. Even ~300whp if driven harsh enough could still cause some serious damage should the clutch malfunction.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth to that, im still deciding on Spec 3+ or Mcloud Twin Disk....
Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Feet are good things to keep around - I don't blame you a bit. Quite honestly, I'm so gung-ho about keeping the clutch in the bellhousing because I'm worried about my passenger's feet moreso than my own. Sure, I'd hate to be injured, but I'd especially hate my irresponsibility causing the disability of someone who trusted me enough to ride with me.

McLeod is your only option as far as steel bellhousings go, and they aren't a direct fit for an LS1 car - but they will work with slight modification. They're also SFI approved. This is the ultimate protection in the event of a clutch explosion. I'd say it weighs ~30lbs more than the stocker.

The only T56 specific trans blanket is the Exotic Muscle unit. It virtually won't add any weight, but I doubt it will contain the clutch in the event of a catastrophic failure half as good as the bellhousing would. It's also a fraction of the price - I guess that is the tradeoff. I'm running one now, and I feel much safer with it installed.Quite honestly, I'd recommend one at the time an aftermarket clutch is installed, even on stock cars that are driven hard. Even ~300whp if driven harsh enough could still cause some serious damage should the clutch malfunction.
You are running the bellhousing or the blanket?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Does anyone know if the f-body t56 blanket will work on the GTO?

Quick Reply: Who has blown up a clutch in their LS1 F-body?