Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Input, Serious Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Input, Serious Problem.

I am going to try and get all the details down in this post. It is going to be a long one... so be patient, and please read, and offer some advice.

So just before thanksgiving, I was at Sacramento Raceway getting some passes in. On my first attempted pass for the night, my car broke right at the line. Towed it home and dropped the tranny myself. I sent the tranny to a good friend of mine that I trusted. He built several tranny's for my friends, and has done this particular tranny many times as well.

After he dug into it, he discovered I broke the rear main shaft, gave me an awesome price, and finished it. I put the tranny back into the car and drove to San Francisco that next day after a simple break in the night before. On my last 10 minutes on the highway, I heard a whining noise coming from my case (hurst billet plus, w/o insulation makes for supersonic hearing). Didn't think tooo much of it. Coming off the highway I came to a stop, took a left, and the car refused to go into 2nd, 3rd, or even fourth. I ended out jamming it into 3rd, and limped it home from there.

The next morning I double checked all my fluids, and then decided to pop it out of gear, and attempt to drive it. It drove perfect, no problems at all. I ended out driving it to my buddy's house, and once again, on the highway on the way back, the tranny began to whine. About 5 minutes later, the car hesitated, and grew a serious problem. It sounded like it got jammed in two gears some how, and the only way to coast was to put the clutch in... Pulled over to the side of the road, and called for a tow. 1-20-07

1-24-07, Dropped the tranny again, and called my tranny guy back up. Sent it to him immediately. After about 3-4 days, I ended out calling him because I didn't hear from him. He said he just started to get into it, and didn't find anything. Mind you, in the meantime, my buddy had his 4L60e in there. Sent it to my guy after me, and got it back before I heard from my tranny guy again. that pissed me off.

Few more days go by and I call my tranny guy up. He said he had it ready that night, but "he dropped a bolt into it and had to tear it apart to get it out". I say fine, just get it back together, I want my car running again.

2-10-07 I hear from my tranny guy. He tells me that my brand new rear main shaft is completely destroyed and I need to buy a new one. He says that the bearing blew up, but he doesn't know why. And I quote "I don't know why the bearing let go. It looks like there was oil in it. Mabey it was just time for it to blow". Fine, but get my tranny back together ASAP.

2-15-07 I still haven't heard from him. I gave him a call, and heard this from him. "Well, I had to send the shaft back out to Detriot where I bought it. I'm fighting a battle for you. I mean, they say it blew up because of a lack of oil. I agree with them, it looked exactly like that to me." Now wait a second, a few days ago you say the opposite. "They gave me a damn good offer, but I turned it down."

And thats the last I heard from him. Last night, my buddy who had some work done by him, said he talked to Jon personally. He got me some dirt. I guess it slipped out that when my tranny guy tested my tranny to send it back to me, he didn't run any fluid in it. Thus the reason he had to tear it down again.

This wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't going to make me pay for the parts the SECOND TIME AROUND. Jesus... He wants to screw me. He should tell me the truth opposed to lieing to my face, when in fact I have gotten him allot of business.

How would you approach the situation? I don't have any physical proof of him ruining my tranny the second time around... Should I get a lawyer? Call the cops? Get my friend to back me up? I need advice guys, I'm in a vice, and I want my car back again.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need some help guys.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know what to tell you. Sounds like it's his word against yours and your buddys if he's willing to back you up.