Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinds going into 5th when cold! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinds going into 5th when cold! HELP!

i have a 99 Z28 with a 6-speed that grinds going into 5th gear, only when it is cold. after i drive the car a few miles and the car gets up to temp, it stops grinding going into 5th. has anyone seen this before? does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advanced for any info.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try to bleed the clutch first. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying a different transmission fluid.

Lately I found at low speeds long after the car has been driven for an hour or so already my 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts would feel like I'd be going "clunk-gear" like I was hitting something just before getting into gear. WOT speed shifts were smooth along with high revving granny shifts so I was stumped as to why this was happening.

Along with those issues, I had another one where when cold those "clunk-gear" feeling shifts were bad enough that a quick shift (still below speed shift) would grind on me.

I decided to bleed the clutch and change to amsoil synthetic transmission fluid today. The clutch doesn't feel any different from the bleed, but it looks like my issues were with the year old Mobil 1 synthetic. It came out looking like some sort of red metallic pearl paint along with looking quite thin when it was pouring out. I think Mobil 1's cheapness of late has managed to move into it's transmission fluid line as well. After driving it all day, I can say it feels a ton better than before. The shifts were back to feeling like the old notchy t-56 I was used to.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

1 bottle of synchro mesh to the tranny and call it a day. Otherwise just don't shift to 5th when it's cold. 1-2-3-4-6 still works when it's cold.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info. any more ideas?

Quick Reply: grinds going into 5th when cold! HELP!