Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch hydraulics!! im about to go CRAZY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch hydraulics!! im about to go CRAZY!!!

ok.....my clutch has never been right since i bought my car it was hard to shift when i bought it so i put a new master in it. shifted perfect. then it started doing it again but this time it was losing fluid! did a slave this winter and it was fine. now it is hard to shift again!!!! so i ordered another new master(since it isnt losing any fluid again). could it just be boiling the fluid? if so how would i know? and how do i protect the braided line from the master from the heat? i was also told it could be my pressure plate. how would i be able to tell the difference in symptoms between all these? my car pretty much wont shift at a high rpm, and the first inch of the pedal is very soft. i am pretty sure the drill mod was done before i bought the car but im not sure i couldnt really tell when i looked at the line.

thanks in advance

-dave-
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bleed the system. You might just need some nice fresh fluid in there. If your fluid is boiling and getting burnt you could see it in your master cylinder resivor. Your fluid would be black. Hope i helped you out.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pro2low
how would i be able to tell the difference in symptoms between all these?
take it to a good shop and get it diagnosed. you dont have to get it fixed right then, and they shouldnt charge you. but i would have replaced the clutch assembly by now, or at least have checked it out.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did bleed the system about 5 times! and yes the fluid does come out dark but the fluid in the resivoir is fine. the clutch assembly has life left on it i had it out recently when i did the slave. the pedal is soft at the top for about and 1 1/2 and in high r's it gets softer and grinds gears. i ordered a new master since i get them for cheap so hopefully tomorrow i will be able to put that in and wrap the line in a hose and heat wrap. how would i know if its the pressure plate?

thanks -dave-
Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pro2low
i did bleed the system about 5 times! and yes the fluid does come out dark but the fluid in the resivoir is fine. the clutch assembly has life left on it i had it out recently when i did the slave. the pedal is soft at the top for about and 1 1/2 and in high r's it gets softer and grinds gears. i ordered a new master since i get them for cheap so hopefully tomorrow i will be able to put that in and wrap the line in a hose and heat wrap. how would i know if its the pressure plate?

thanks -dave-
Discount sells a heat wrap package for 2 spark plug boots. Buy that and cut the part where it is sewn togehter. Zip tie the 2 together and you will have a tube of heat wrap long enough for the entire line!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fbodyattraction- i know exactly what you are talking about i actually have those on my wires lol! ill have to try that it has saved my wires from melting!

i will let you guys know what happens once i get the work done tomorrow atleast i hope i do haha

thanks a bunch!

-dave-
Old 03-13-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

when your bleeding the system what helps is when you have down let it come up open the bleeder valve on the trans push the pedal in, close the valve and the pedal should stick to the floor so re pump and try that a couple of times. Also when you replaced the slave did you use that green shim that came with it. it sounds like at high rpms you may have "some" air in the system. try rebleeding that thing til you notice all the fluid thats coming out is clear. I know some say if you push the pedal in the have the bleeder valve open you may get air in the system but i tried it and it worked fine. Dont use a regular rachet, use the one that looks like a rachet but doesnt have the swivel to move it from left to right. good luck
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright put in the new master and it is a little bit better not much though. however i forgot to put the tubing and heat tape on haha im gonna do that tomorrow. could it be the trans fluid? i prolly has 3 1/2 or so quarts in it, some spilled when i put it back in.

-dave-
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FbodyAttraction
Discount sells a heat wrap package for 2 spark plug boots. Buy that and cut the part where it is sewn togehter. Zip tie the 2 together and you will have a tube of heat wrap long enough for the entire line!
Do you have a link for this site? I thought about getting my headers coated but decided to just polish them well I want to make sure the clutch line doesnt get too hot.

Quick Reply: clutch hydraulics!! im about to go CRAZY!!!