Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Differences?

I just got a real good deal on an 04' GTO LS1 & 6 speed that Im gonna use on my next swap. Problem is that the tail housing on the tranny is cracked. I haven't picked it up yet, so Im not sure how bad it is. I have been searching through the forum for the last hour and haven't found the answers Im looking for.

My question is, if I end up having to source another T56, what are the differences (disadvantages/advantages) of the different years or applications? Or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The GTO is a 2.97 1st gear ratio transmission along with a triple cone blocker ring. They only come in the CTS-V, GTO and Corvette. The F-Body transmission is completely different. The shifter is also different since it has an extension. The GTO will work anywhere the F-Body will with a few mods needed. The GTO is normally the more desirable since it has the better blocker rings but it is also way more expensive to fix if it breaks. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. What about casings? I'm assuming they are different also. Guess I will just have to wait and see how bad its busted. Maybe I can have the casing repaired.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be able to. We repair them in house just depending on how bad it is.

Amber