Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

brand new spec 3+....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default brand new spec 3+....

ok i just got this all in and drove my car for like 20 minutes...am i supposed to smell clutch with a nerw clutch? i am not getting on it, im breaking it in and everytime i come to a stop i smell clutch!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you resurface your flywheel and clean the flywheel, disk, and pressure plate with brake cleaner when you installed it? What did you torque all of the bolts to? Did you place the shim behind the slave cylinder?

If the flywheel isnt resurfaced it has a higher chance of slipping and if everything isnt very clean it will slip.

I just installed mine with a billet flywheel and it works just fine.

If you know everything was done properly then i would just keep driving it for a while and see if it breaks itself in.

Last edited by brad8266; 03-14-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i torqued all the flywheel and pressure plates down with an impact wrench so those should be good. i do have a new billet steel flywheel that i may have gotten a tiny bit just a real little bit greasy from my hands but it was extremely minimal if any. but i did do everything right. i just put 100 miles on it aqnd i dont seem to be smelling any more clutch so hopefully all is well
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by C Murda
well i torqued all the flywheel and pressure plates down with an impact wrench so those should be good. i do have a new billet steel flywheel that i may have gotten a tiny bit just a real little bit greasy from my hands but it was extremely minimal if any. but i did do everything right. i just put 100 miles on it aqnd i dont seem to be smelling any more clutch so hopefully all is well
You used an impact wrench on the clutch assembly?? You have to torque the flywheel and pressure plates to the specified toqrue values. Since you used an impact wrench, all of those bolts are probably unevenely torqued which is a no no and the entire assembly needs to be 100% clean and dry, no prints, grease or dirt. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner and then washed my hands and then installed it all.

Did you use the shim behind the slave cylinder?

Take your time and read the instructions as well as clean everything next time.

I have about 200 miles on mine so far and it seems like a great clutch and I have even feathered the **** out of it a few times too and it holds fine. I went WOT with it a few times from a roll and it is showing no signs of slippage.

Next time make sure everything is spotless and use a torque wrench and tighten the flywheel bolts to 72 lbs and the pressure plate bolts to 52 Lbs. Oh and use red threadlocker on all the bolts too. Good luck on the next one man if that one doesnt work out for ya which i dont think it will last long judging from what you said.

Last edited by brad8266; 03-14-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

If everything seems to be working now why would he buy a new one?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02gixxersix
If everything seems to be working now why would he buy a new one?
If it was slipping and burning that early something is wrong with it and it probably wont hold under WOT for very long.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

He just said that because he didn't torque the bolts to the proper specs. so it isn't getting the same gripping force in all spots. Also he didn't put the new flywheel in or resurfaced the old one so it already has a wear pattern on it and isn't going to wear the clutch in evenly,
Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

huh? i didnt say i didnt put the new one on..the new one is on and yes i did use an impact wrench...my mistake on that but i have done that through 3 clutch installs with no problem at all and no 3 clutch installs doesnt mean i burnt them apart i frequently changed between clutches thats all with them still in new condition when pulling the old ones off after 15k miles....BUT anyways hopefully the impacting those bolts isnt what caused the problem and hopefully there will be no slippage from here on...as of right now there is no slipping but i cant get on it so i dont really know. im getting my car dynotuned friday so im thinking if the clutch slips i should notice it in the dyno graph?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by C Murda
huh? i didnt say i didnt put the new one on..the new one is on and yes i did use an impact wrench...my mistake on that but i have done that through 3 clutch installs with no problem at all and no 3 clutch installs doesnt mean i burnt them apart i frequently changed between clutches thats all with them still in new condition when pulling the old ones off after 15k miles....BUT anyways hopefully the impacting those bolts isnt what caused the problem and hopefully there will be no slippage from here on...as of right now there is no slipping but i cant get on it so i dont really know. im getting my car dynotuned friday so im thinking if the clutch slips i should notice it in the dyno graph?
Just give it the break in period and go WOT on the street with it and see if it holds.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im getting my Spec 3+ installed as we speak along with the new MC and SC. I cant WAIT to get it broke in and see how it pulls!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Please make sure that you allow for proper break-in before going to the dyno. As a side note, use of an impact on clutch and flywheel bolts is a nightmare waiting to happen. As mentioned above it can lead to inconsistent torque values from one bolt to the next. Its is your car and your clutch, but I would check the torque on each bolt--it is a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,
Old 03-16-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I got it installed and just drove it back from the tranny place and all I can say at this point is WOW! I now know how much the old clutch was slipping! Everything about the new hydraulics and the Spec 3+ feels G R E A T! Just like the Spec 3 in my Cobra, I will put about 350 city miles on it before I start laying into it and not do any clutch drops or WOT runs till 500 on the clock. I will be on slicks before you know it and will once again report back and let you all know how it handles the track!

Quick Reply: brand new spec 3+....