Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

help picking short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help picking short throw shifter

I'd like to get some opinions on short throws before I go out and buy one. I was thinking of getting a B&M ripper shifter. does anyone have good or bad experience with them? Also that's about the only one I know of on hand, so I'm open to more kinds. I've heard of hurst and something about a 5.0 shifter.

So any help is greatly appreciated. What do you guys feel is the best short throw shifter out there? Cause that's what I'm after.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

personally i say go with the B&M, but thats cause im biased because i own it...as for how it performs...i like it and so far i havent had problems with it...but you will read on here of problems with it and probably with any other short throw...but thats different people...it may not happen to you...but im sure more people will respond to this and help you out. Also use the search, you will find like a million threads on here as well as polls..but like i said in the beginning, I like the B&M so if you do go with it then....enjoy it!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pro 5.0 with a Lou Short stick is by far the best shiter combo that I have ever felt.

Here it is for decent price, usually the pro 5.0 comes with its stick but they get them with no stick and add the LSS to it. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/pro50towshif.html
Old 03-15-2007, 06:24 AM
On The Tree

i have the pro 5.0 with 3/4" cut off...i love it
Old 03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Launching!

I have the Hurst Billet Plus. It was in the car when I bought it so I can't compare it to anything but it is a good shifter for sure. It does come with a very long stick. I just bought a WS6 store short stick for it. Should be here today so I'll post up once i get it installed. Overall though it is definatly a good product.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

hmmmm still pretty broad lol. I'd like to see the feedback on that ws6store short throw.

Well pretty much B&M, 5.0 pro and Hurst. Those seem to be the best huh?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Well my short stick came today but it snowed so I won't be able to give feedback right away.

I think you're pretty safe with which ever one you choose. Seems like a lot is personal preference but they all preform well.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

i put in my 5.0 lou short stick combo in last week it is awesome, but like above they perform well i guess go by price...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 AM
CARTEK Racing

Pro 5.0 without short stick.

The shorter the shifter, the shorter the lever, the more force needed to shift. Therefore a longer shifter will allow for quicker faster shifts will less effort.

A buddy of mine had a short stick on his Pro 5.0 and could not shift the car for ****. I told him to put the stock handle back on, he did so and called me up right away saying how easy and precise the car was to shift. Yes it does not look as cool with a huge shifter handle sticking out of your center console, but you will thank it at the track.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Most will say Pro5.0 w/LSS. Having said that, I really like my B&M and have no thoughts of changing to anything else. The problem is that you can't put a short stick on it. I don't like the short stick anyway because it's not really comfortable for me. BTW, the rubber isolator on the factory stick is the source of most complaints.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Pro 5.0 without short stick.

The shorter the shifter, the shorter the lever, the more force needed to shift. Therefore a longer shifter will allow for quicker faster shifts will less effort.

A buddy of mine had a short stick on his Pro 5.0 and could not shift the car for ****. I told him to put the stock handle back on, he did so and called me up right away saying how easy and precise the car was to shift. Yes it does not look as cool with a huge shifter handle sticking out of your center console, but you will thank it at the track.
Theres a difference tho between being short and being so short you cant shift accurately, or shift well. For most people a shorter stick will mean a quicker shift.

Quick Reply: help picking short throw shifter