Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car wont crank at all, seems clutch is stuck. any ideas??

Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car wont crank at all, seems clutch is stuck. any ideas??

Not my car but my bro's 96z: new clutch installed less than 1yr from Advance autoparts(IIRC it was a ZOOM clutch $250). Couple days ago my bro was getting some food at Jack-in-the-Box, and his clutch wouldnt disengage after he parked. the car wouldnt crank at all, even in neutral, so we towed his car home. we are rather clueless to what it is, but we were told that it might be the pressure plate that broke IDK. my bro said he heard a metallic noise sort of like something was loose when it happend, but other than that it was working fine since the install. the car has a new slave cylinder as well that we replaced about 3 months ago. any ideas what it might be? thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you hear the solenoid on the starter even click? Are you sure the starter is actually trying to turn? Check the clutch safety switch on the pedal? A broken pressure plate would be more than a a metallic noise like something was loose, but it could be not releasing properly. Hows the pedal pressure?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
wrencher

Make sure the fork is still on the slave.
Is the pedal solid cannot push it down?
If it is & still on there take the rubber cover off the fork in the side of the bellhousing & see if you can see inside. You might see the problem.
I have seen LT1 pressure plate break before & cause the fork to come off & lock the motor up B-4.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

the starter engages(clicks) but the motor wont turn over. when I push the pedal down it has a light to moderate pressure til about halway down but you can feel that its not disengaging the clutch. after about 1/2 way down its like there's a brick behind the pedal. well my bro said the noise wasnt very prominent when this happend but he definately heard something down there for a breif moment before he shut it off.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 AM
wrencher

It sounds like the trans needs to come out
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

I am sure that you have considered the fact that this may be two problems instead of one. Have you checked battery? This would allow for a "click" to be heard but would also cause the starter not to turn. The actual stiffness of the pedal sounds hydraulic. I would check the battery first to insure that it is functioning. If all is well then pull the trans and take a look. Let me know if you need me to look at any pics of the clutch...I know that it isn't ours but I will be happy to assist you either way. Thanks,
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

cool, i'll check the battery today when I get home from school, doubt it was that since the car was on when the breakage happend, but its worth checking out anyways. I will also check the fork and see if its in the correct position as well. SPEC-01 thanks for the help, I will give you a holla if I need you to take a look at some pics. I will check back with an update later today or tomorrow. Thanks again guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car wont crank at all, seems clutch is stuck. any ideas??