Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best way to bleed clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to bleed clutch

I've bleed my clutch by having someone pump it several times, release it, crack open bleeder valve, push cluth in and hold, tighten valve, repeat as needed. Is this the correct process or should I crack open the bleed valve while the clutch is held in?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are doing it right. Open valve, push pedal, close valve, release(pull up) on pedal, repeat.

I would advise against the MityVac method. Several members of the board warn against it, and I this my current Master Cyl is ruined becasue of using the MityVac.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had my friend pump and hold pedal, I cracked bleeder, closed bleeder, then he released the pedal and pumped it and I refilled the tank.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
I had my friend pump and hold pedal, I cracked bleeder, closed bleeder, then he released the pedal and pumped it and I refilled the tank.
I'm not sure if your method is correct of if mine is?

Does anyone know if you're suppose to hold the pedal in then crack the bleeder open or open valve then push clutch in????
Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_Z28

Does anyone know if you're suppose to hold the pedal in then crack the bleeder open or open valve then push clutch in????
i just did mine. While my friend had the pedal down i opened then closed the bleeder. Then he lets the pedal up then back down and i open and close it again. Make sure you have enough brake fluid in the tank so you don't run out and suck in air.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by '99bluez
i just did mine. While my friend had the pedal down i opened then closed the bleeder. Then he lets the pedal up then back down and i open and close it again. Make sure you have enough brake fluid in the tank so you don't run out and suck in air.
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try your method out and hopefully thats the problem with my clutch.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

You're bleeding wrong JD.

Make sure your resevoir is full with fluid (pull the rubber out). Fill that biatch up with fluid.

Have a buddy pump the pedal a few times. Yell it out... "pump the pedal", "hold the pedal in". Now you crack the bleeder once the clutch pedal is fully depressed and held. Close the bleeder and yell back to your buddy "pump it!"

Much easier if you just go about talking to each other. Keep doing it in this method, until you've got a real stiff pedal, and theres no more air in the line.

It takes me no more than 5 minutes to bleed a clutch in these cars. I've never had an issue, no where near anything some people complain about.

Worse case scenario, I pressurize the system, and do a manual bleed at the same time. 15psi at the cap, and then go about bleeding the normal way. This isn't something you're going to have at your house. But if you really can't get the air out of the system, a decent local shop should have the right tools.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Make sure your resevoir is full with fluid (pull the rubber out). Fill that biatch up with fluid.

Have a buddy pump the pedal a few times. Yell it out... "pump the pedal", "hold the pedal in". Now you crack the bleeder once the clutch pedal is fully depressed and held. Close the bleeder and yell back to your buddy "pump it!"

Exactly how I did it, it took about 30 minutes (brand new dry master an slave). Once it built pressure i gave it 4 more cracks to be extra safe and havent had a problem since.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Much easier if you just go about talking to each other. Keep doing it in this method, until you've got a real stiff pedal, and theres no more air in the line.

It takes me no more than 5 minutes to bleed a clutch in these cars. I've never had an issue, no where near anything some people complain about.

Worse case scenario, I pressurize the system, and do a manual bleed at the same time. 15psi at the cap, and then go about bleeding the normal way. This isn't something you're going to have at your house. But if you really can't get the air out of the system, a decent local shop should have the right tools.
Thank you so much sir. Hopefully this fixes my clutch issues.

Quick Reply: Best way to bleed clutch