Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rough Shifts T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Shifts T56

Im guessing I need to replace the slave cylinder but let me know what you guys think.

The slave cylinder is leaking... and has been for about 3 months. I have kept a close eye on the fluid and i have only had to fill it once in the 3 months.

I have only had this happen twice thus far. The car will be hard to get out of gear then it will grind some getting into the next gear. I have had it also while sitting in neutral at a light, go to stick it in 1st and had a little trouble getting it in. Did the whole wiggle the stick and pump the peddle and bring the rpms up a little to get it in easy. Im not sure if its the syncros or the slave cylinder. I have a new clutch and flywheel, it was installed maybe 6 months ago and has maybe 2k miles on it. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably have a leaky seal on the slave. The new clutch might have made an existing problem worse if it takes a bit more pressure to release the PP. The seal might have been holding up until then. Either way if you've got fluid leaking from between the bellhousing and gear box it's the slave and it has to be replaced that would be the first place to start with your shifting problems.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright well i replaced the slave, and it seemed to work just fine till today.... about 100 or so miles then back to where i was. When im in 1st gear just going through a parking lot, i can press in the the clutch leaving the car in gear and about 1 sec later i can hear the car kick out of gear and it kind of jerks. I noticed that once the car warms up if im coming to a light and let the clutch out with the car in neutral, it is hard to put it into 1st when i leave. However if i come to the light and press and leave in the clutch and move it from say 4th to 1st once i stop, there is no problem. Im not sure if i bought a bad slave or what. If the syncros were bad the car should be hard to shift all the time i would think. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

So its fixed. Replaced the slave and the mastercylinder all GM parts and still had the same problem. So as a last resort not thinking it would help all that much i wrapped the lines with some aluminum tape and insulation and BAM fixed. So another vote for the wrapping your clutch line if you have longtubes.

Quick Reply: Rough Shifts T56