Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Whine

i was wonder what could it be ?, is not coming from the differential, or the steering pump.

on sunday i noticed a whine, kind of like a roots supercharger whine i thought it was coming from the engine bay. i was hearing this noise at speeds above 20-30mph, sound was increasing with speed, not rpm related.

on monday, i was driving to the office and went over some potholes, the pitch of the whine changed, is still there, but the picth has a lower tone/frequency now, kind of like when you set the mesh of two spur gears to tight..., the sound is more noticeable when engaging 3rd gear , just right before it hits the gate and 3rd gets engaged.

here is a little video i took at night when the pitch was higher in tone, please notice in the middle of the video, when the camera is pointing towards tha a/c controls, just above the trans shifter.

http://media.putfile.com/Whine-sound

as a note: a few months back i had a missed shift, shifting from 4th to 5th gear, i don't know if i hit the reverse gears, or hit the gate in some way i heard this grinding noise. since then, the trannie has been acting up, like 1st,3rd and 5th won't enagage smoothly, i can't shift into reverse, the reverse lights would be on, but the shifter simply won't get engaged in reverse no matter how hard i try to put it in there. (even when the engine is not running).

i thought it was the clutch in the beginning, but because of the winter i couldn't do anything with it. i have an ls7 clutch awaiting to be installed, but i want to know if my trannie took a dump on me. , i have no rattles or clunky noises.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

I just had a new T56 installed from T56rebuilds.

Same "Problem" note my e-mail response from them:
Thats normal and will get better with time. The bronze pads ride on
aluminum so there is noise. It should wear in about 500 miles during
break in but make sure it has 4 quarts of fluid. Low fluid will cause
whine as well.

Thanks,
Amber

> Got the Package and had the tranny installed. The install went smoothly.
>
> Is it normal to have a "whinning" sound in first gear, sounds like I added
> a supercharger?
>
> Thanks.
>
It is getting better with driving.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to see if you're low on tranny fluid. The same thing happened to me, you might have a bad cluster.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
I just had a new T56 installed from T56rebuilds.

Same "Problem" note my e-mail response from them:
Thats normal and will get better with time. The bronze pads ride on
aluminum so there is noise. It should wear in about 500 miles during
break in but make sure it has 4 quarts of fluid. Low fluid will cause
whine as well.

Thanks,
Amber

> Got the Package and had the tranny installed. The install went smoothly.
>
> Is it normal to have a "whinning" sound in first gear, sounds like I added
> a supercharger?
>
> Thanks.
>
It is getting better with driving.
but the whinning is there regardless of the gear i use, my car has 20k miles, and this noise wasn't there before sunday. something i've noticed after before hitting the potholes, i could go to 80mph and still hear the whine. now, after 55-60mph, it seems to dissapear, or at least is not noticeable.
and is weird the noise would increase a little just when i'm hitting the 3rd gear gate.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
You might want to see if you're low on tranny fluid. The same thing happened to me, you might have a bad cluster.
i guess i could change the fluid and see, i see no leaks at all in my garage. the thing is the transmission was fine just before the miss shift. triple digits miss shift from 4th to 5th. freeway driving, nobody around at the time.

and what do you mean with having a bad cluster?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueGoat06
i guess i could change the fluid and see, i see no leaks at all in my garage. the thing is the transmission was fine just before the miss shift. triple digits miss shift from 4th to 5th. freeway driving, nobody around at the time.

and what do you mean with having a bad cluster?
From driving on low fluid you can wear down the gears in the tranny cluster. You should give T-56 rebuilds a call. Usually when you hear a whine from the tranny its the cluster.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

what would be the best way to tell if i'm low on fluid, removing the shifter, or from the fill plug?. i know in this cars we are supposed to add fluid from the reverse switch, .5 qt more than the fill plug.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueGoat06
what would be the best way to tell if i'm low on fluid, removing the shifter, or from the fill plug?. i know in this cars we are supposed to add fluid from the reverse switch, .5 qt more than the fill plug.
Take out the fill plug out and stick your finger in it and see if its to the top.

Quick Reply: Transmission Whine