Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch fluid boil, causing air in lines, and funny pedal feel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch fluid boil, causing air in lines, and funny pedal feel?

So, I went to the track the other day, and the car did great, no slip, noting. The other day I raced again, and everything is fine, but when I hit the clutch AFTER the race, it feels a little stiff, and a little low to the floor, allmost mushy. I can put it in high gear, and step on it, and there is no slip at all.

Some one told me that after a night of racing, I may have "boiled" the clutch fluid, causing air pockets, and that I should bleed it. I looked at the fluid, dont seem low, just black.

I am going to flush it, and put DOT4 in it, and bleed it all. Is that true, that racing can cause air bubbles, and make this problem happen? Or is my slave or master cyl on its way out?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

If ypur braided line is near the exhaust, which is likely the case if you have headers, then yeah fluid boil can happen and yes you will want to flush the fluid and replace with clean fluid and bleed the system. Black fluid usualy means that it got too hot.

I would also recommend that you wrap the braided line with heater hose to keep it from boiling again. I just bought a piece of hose and slit it down the middle and put the line inside of it and put a few tie wraps on it to keep it in place. Also tie the entire line as far from the exhaust as you can.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266
If ypur braided line is near the exhaust, which is likely the case if you have headers, then yeah fluid boil can happen and yes you will want to flush the fluid and replace with clean fluid and bleed the system. Black fluid usualy means that it got too hot.

I would also recommend that you wrap the braided line with heater hose to keep it from boiling again. I just bought a piece of hose and slit it down the middle and put the line inside of it and put a few tie wraps on it to keep it in place. Also tie the entire line as far from the exhaust as you can.
Did this solve the problem of pedal drop for you??? I'm having same issue's with the funny clutch pedal after WOT runs, it was fine when I had stock manifolds but ever since I had my headers put on it does this same thing......so just wrap the braided line with heater hose & tie as far away from exhaust as possible???
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brad8266

What size is the heater hose? and how long do you need it?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
Did this solve the problem of pedal drop for you??? I'm having same issue's with the funny clutch pedal after WOT runs, it was fine when I had stock manifolds but ever since I had my headers put on it does this same thing......so just wrap the braided line with heater hose & tie as far away from exhaust as possible???
It didnt solve the problem but it prevented that problem. yep just wrap the line is a piece of heater hos and tie wrap the hose onto the braided line then tie the entire thing as far from the headers as you can.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
What size is the heater hose? and how long do you need it?
2 feet is fine, its cheap anyway. I dont remember the size, i just went to autozone and looked at the hose and picked the one that looked the closest to what i needed. 5/8 or a bit larger would be fine i think.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh and be sure to replace the old boiled fluid with new fresh fluid and bleed the **** out of the system.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

how long did you bleed it?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
how long did you bleed it?
I beld mine for about 30 minutes at the most, but my master and slave were brand new 100% dry. I think I overdid it just to be safe though.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the info, I will be doing this tomarrow morning, and I will let you all know if it solved my "smushy pedal" blues.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys...

Which do you think would work better? The heater hose or using a heat sleeve. I got a heat sleeve from PACE that had velcro down the side. I put that on the entire lenght of the line. But I think Im still have issues. So Im either going to double up, or try the heater hose solution. Just wondering which would protect better against heat.

Also...do you have trouble with the heater hose melting??? Or will it not melt unless it touches the header...

Justin
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Hey guys...

Which do you think would work better? The heater hose or using a heat sleeve. I got a heat sleeve from PACE that had velcro down the side. I put that on the entire lenght of the line. But I think Im still have issues. So Im either going to double up, or try the heater hose solution. Just wondering which would protect better against heat.

Also...do you have trouble with the heater hose melting??? Or will it not melt unless it touches the header...

Justin
Try both heater hose and heat sleeve, that would be really good.

No trouble with the hose melting, tie it off away from the header.

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid boil, causing air in lines, and funny pedal feel?