Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Soft Pedal with McCleod

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Pedal with McCleod

My knowledge is limited...so if anything sounds wrong - even the most elementary error - please tell me. I won't be insulted.

I have a Mcleod Street twin clutch and McCleod Master and Updated GM Slave... Since they have been installed, it has been difficult to get into reverse and 1st, but lately it has gotten worse - such that I literally have to stand on the pedal to get the car in reverse.

To diagnose the problem, I started by bleeding the system... didn't work. Then I removed the master, replaced the seals and put it back in and re-bled. This worked... for about a week. Then the pedal went soft again and I can't get into gear again.

So I removed the steel braided line at the quick disconnect and pressed the pedal with the line closed - hard as a rock (which i take to mean that the master is pushing fluid and bled)

So i reconnected the line and pumped the pedal. I would have thought it would have been soft again since I didn't really do anything but disconnect the line and reconnect it, but to my surprise after pumping it a few times, it feels just like it should, nice and firm.

I am concerned that it will just soften up again... Any ideas? Is it a slave problem? A problem with the braided line? Why does it work for a week after disconnecting the line and then soften up again?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Teching In

Ok... so no one has anything to say... A couple days ago I was driving home and the pedal was soft and the transmission was difficult to get into gear. I stopped at a stop light, put the car in neutral and let my foot off the clutch pedal. When I put my foot back on the pedal it was firm and the car shifted perfectly.

What's that all about?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
wrencher

Did you drill mod the braided line?

I ahve seen people have much better luck honing the master cylinder then insalling new seals.
The seals can 'catch' a burr on the master bore &tear/ rip the seals some peeps say. Honing is post to relief this. I like to use the wheel cylinder hones.
The adjustment is also important, that needs to be right as well.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I did a drill mod. I also honed the cylinder walls. I really don't think it is the master cylinder. I just don't know what it is... Basically, I have come to the point now where I just decided to spend some money and have everything rebuilt or replaced; so my clutch is currently in transit to Mcleod. I have purchased a new slave as well. Hopefully I'll get it figured out.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dump the Mcleod master and use a stock one.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

slowhawk, why do you say that?a