Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4th and 5th gear slip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th and 5th gear slip?

try to give as much info as i can. about 560 or so to rear wheels maybe 580. i have exedy twin clutch. everything sounds fine, no smells, thru 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
whenever i shift to 4th from either 3rd or 5th and get the rpm's up (5700 to 6000) something is vibrating like crazy and rpms slip up a tad like rear wheels are spinning, but they're not.

any chance it could be an air bubble? doesn't do it in any other gears except 4th and 5th and at very heavy load.
it has just started doing this recently also. maybe a line from clutch resevoir is pinched?
clutch going bad.
just looking for opinions before digging in to it.

rob
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is only doing it in those 2 gears I would think something in the Trans is going bad. If it did it in all gears at those high rpm's I would think clutch/hydraulics. I am not a real internal trans guy but I would think something like the gears maybe inside are worn for 4th and or 5th. Maybe a call or e-mail to t56 rebuilds might be worth a shot. I am sure those guys would be able to tell you right away what it most likely is.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

bad break in? burnt/warped clutchplate or flywheel?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

had the clutch for a while now, so not from break in anyway, but i was hoping for something goofy like loose torque arm, (umi adjustable), or air bubble in clutch line.
like i said, just started doing it. i wouldn't even guess clutch but the rpm's go up like i'm spinning the tires.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wvaboy
...any chance it could be an air bubble? doesn't do it in any other gears except 4th and 5th and at very heavy load.
It doesn't sound like an air bubble, but your description of it occurring at very heavy load points to it being the clutch. How old is it?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

probably 2 years old, but only about 12 to 15,000 miles on it. only been to the track once and that was on the old set up.
someone else said it was probably the clutch also. i just thought i would feel it in all the gears if it were the clutch, not just high rpm's in 4th and 5th.

may have to upgrade to a textralia though. just didn't want to miss something simple.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, sometimes these things can be a little difficult to diagnose. You may actually be slipping a little more than before in the lower gears, but depending on your gearing, weight, wheel speed, etc., it may not be as pronounced...yet...as when you're trying to accelerate the car without the benefit of all that torque multiplication.

Still, 12 to 15K seems like an awfully short lifespan. If you don't mind me asking, what clutch setup is this?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind me asking, what clutch setup is this?[/QUOTE]

He has that listed in his first post, an Exedy twin setup.

Quick Reply: 4th and 5th gear slip?