Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hydrolic line broke...fluid all over the clutch

Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydrolic line broke...fluid all over the clutch

lost my clutch pedal the other day, tried bleeding and noticed fluid leaking out the bottom of the trans (near the bellhousing). figured the slave took a **** on me.

pulled the trans and it turns out the hyd line going into the slave broke off. looks like there is fluid all over the inside of the bellhousing and clutch. havnt' gotten the BHing or pressure plate off yet but i'm concerned that the fluid has trashed my clutch disk.

is it possible to clean the pucks well enough with brake cleaner that they won't be affected??

it's a spec 4...unknown puck material...but i could probably find out..have the original box and pn should be on it.

ALSO...i assume it's possible to pick up just the hyd line to the slave...anyone have a part number??

thanks
going to get pics now.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

pics....

Old 04-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I don't think you can get just the line itself. I think you have to buy the entire Master Cylinder assembly to get it. If you have trouble sourcing it, PM me...I might have an extra laying around.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Meent...thanks for the offer...i'll keep it in mind

pulled the pressure plate and appears that the fluid didn't get on the clutch disc much.

however it does appear that the clutch pucks are worn down pretty good considering i've only got about 5K miles on the clutch. i wish i knew how thick the pucks were to begin with...

i'm thinking since i have the damn thing apart i may as well change out the disc...why go through the hassle in a few more thousand miles.

i was having some strange grinding noise as well, didn't start till i was a few thousand miles on the clutch...wondering if i should just change the pilot bearing as well?

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna swap almost everything...clutch disc, TO bearing, Slave, pilot bearing and then throw on an adjustable MC for good measure. the Slave and TO bearing had alot of grease like stuff on it, not totally sure what it's from...maybe just oil and clutch dust combined...but i think i'm just gonna change them both for good measure.

on a side note, you can see the corrosion on the flywheel from where the car was flooded in hurricane Wilma...didn't think it got that high!!!!! DAMN!

EDIT:
by the way....it doesn't look like i need to resurface the fw or the pressure plate....what do you guys think??

Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'd resurface them regardless. It's another one of those don't want to have to pull it all back out again to do it over things.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

when you resurface...do you need to shim the flywheel?

or can you just take up the difference with an adjustable MC??

the pressureplate looks almost new...so i may just have the FW done..
Old 04-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Not sure...every clutch swap I've ever done on my car, I've used a new flywheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hydrolic line broke...fluid all over the clutch