Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of Second Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping out of Second Gear?

Okay i dont know if this has to do with the skip shift or not but my second gear acts funny. On downshifts to second gear the tranny will kick me completly out of second into neutral, unless I hold it in gear. If I shift from first to second I have to hold it in second untill the clutch is fully engaged. If I let off the shifter after it is in second and let the clutch out it will pop it back into neutral. It makes a little grinding noise if I let the clutch out slow but if I just let it out like I normally would it totally kicks it out of gear. Second gear is the ONLY gear this happens in. I have to hold it in second but not like force it there just keep my hand on the shifter and it runs fine. Also I can shift into second without the clutch at 2200 rpms and it shifts smooth so something tells me it is not the syncros because if so i wouldnt be able to do that. Does this have anything to do with the skip shift or what?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

It is your trani, and I am pritty sure its a syncro. If you RPM match the motor and trans you are bypassing the syncro. Skip shift is only active at low RPM in first. If the skip shift cylinoid was on it would make you shift from first to fourth, it would not let you put it in second.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

hmmm is this a really big deal? I JUST baught the car two weeks ago. Ive heard that it could also be the shifter and that a short throw sifter could solve the problem. Like I only have to slightly hold it in gear.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

If you have to hold it in gear, that totally degrades the fun of driving these m6 cars. Gears should go in like butter, however fast you want to slam them in, and stay there.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

mine is suffereing from this very same thing. My first gear also grinds now. At a stop, i always have to go into 2nd or 3rd, and then into 1st for it not to grind. I figure, I will drive it like that until it explodes. Then i will have a reason to truly upgrade the internals of the tranny and rear.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmartin8
Ive heard that it could also be the shifter and that a short throw sifter could solve the problem.
A shifter will not fix a poping out of gear problem, but it could be the cause of it. Some aftermarket shifters have adjustable throws on the base (pro 5.0)and if it is not adjusted right it will not allow you to fully inguage the gear. But if its the stock shifter there are no adjustments.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

It doesnt pop out of gear under throttle or anything. I dont have to hold it in gear unless I downshift to second. That is the ONLY time it will pop out.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

It is up to you, poping out means a problem. If it only does it sometimes then the problem isnt that bad yet but belive me it will get worse, it might take some time but it will. if it only pops out during a down shift I would stay away form down shifting into second.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Couple thoughts

How many miles? If the car is just bought, Check for proper fluid level.

The linkage from the shifter to the shift fork.

If you are able to complete the shift without grinding this should rule out the

blocker ring.

Lastly the dog teeth on the speed gear and splines on the Synchronizer

sleeve. these teeth / splines hold together the speed gear / Synchronizer.