Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possibly rebuilding myself, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly rebuilding myself, some questions

I am playing with the idea of rebuilding the t56 myself, for the experience and the savings. I have downloaded and printed the complete t56 manual and studied.

The story: I was racing a stock camaro SS to the top of fourth gear and I tried to pull the shifter out and it was stuck. Got it out of fourth after a minute then put it in third seemed fine. Tried pulling it out of third, unsuccessful. After about 15 minutes of driving back home it came out of third.

The symptoms: Will not go into third gear most of the time and if it does it gets stuck for a while. Grinds going into fourth. Car is not being driven anymore for the sake of everything else in the tranny.

Questions:

I do not see the term "slider key" used anywhere in the manual, are these the 3 keys that are in each of the synchros? Is the failure of these what causes the gear to lock?

Are slider assemblies are another name for synchronizer assemblies?

Is a hydraulic press absolutely needed for the installation of the gears etc. on the shaft? Any other special tools besides snap ring pliers?

Do I need any shims, snap rings, or o-rings?

My buy list so far, let me know if I need to add anything or something is unecessary.

-3/4 steel fork $40
-Carbon blocker ring kit $170
-Billet 3-4 slider keys $75
-3/4 synchronizer assembly $115
-Bronze fork pads for all forks $120
-LS7 clutch kit $450

I hope I dont need any gears

Please comment, thank you in advance.

Last edited by Fire-formula 93; 04-09-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
I am playing with the idea of rebuilding the t56 myself, for the experience and the savings. I have downloaded and printed the complete t56 manual and studied.

The story: I was racing a stock camaro SS to the top of fourth gear and I tried to pull the shifter out and it was stuck. Got it out of fourth after a minute then put it in third seemed fine. Tried pulling it out of third, unsuccessful. After about 15 minutes of driving back home it came out of third.

The symptoms: Will not go into third gear most of the time and if it does it gets stuck for a while. Grinds going into fourth. Car is not being driven anymore for the sake of everything else in the tranny.

Questions:

I do not see the term "slider key" used anywhere in the manual, are these the 3 keys that are in each of the synchros? Is the failure of these what causes the gear to lock?

Are slider assemblies are another name for synchronizers?

Is a hydraulic press absolutely needed for the installation of the gears etc. on the shaft? Any other special tools besides snap ring pliers?

Do I need any shims, snap rings, or o-rings?

My buy list so far, let me know if I need to add anything or something is unecessary.

-3/4 steel fork $40
-Carbon blocker ring kit $170
-Billet 3-4 slider keys $75
-3/4 synchronizer assembly
-Bronze fork pads for all gears $120
-GM master cylinder $180
-GM slave cylinder $130
-LS7 clutch kit $450

I hope I dont need any gears

Please comment, thank you in advance.
You'll need a pair of Lock Rings pliers too, A long gear pullier, you can make it, its easy, You'll need a press to remove the 3/4 syncro ***. etc. I don't think you'll need any shims unless you're changing bearings.
The "Slider" consist of the syncro ***., its the outside piece. You are right about the 3 slider keys, they fit in the syncro ***. the keys very well could be the problem.
When doing this rebuild...its important to understand how the tranny works.. it will help you have a successful rebuild.

P.s make sure you have t56rebuilds.com on speed dial, they'll help you with all your ?'s
Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks very much for the help. So when you purchase the 3/4 slider assembly from t56 rebuilds, it is complete with the new synchro inside correct?

EDIT: Nevermind, clicking "More info" under the product name always helps It does come complete with inner/outer hubs spring and stock keys.

I may have to invest in a nice hydraulic press from harbor freight. Is this one suitable? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44811
or this one?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33497

Last edited by Fire-formula 93; 04-09-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The slider comes complete with the new stock keys and springs. If you want to upgrade to the billet ones just let me know when you place the order. As for the complete synchro, you will need to order the blocker ring kit seperate. The blocker ring kit plus the slider assembly make up the complete synchronizer.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

OK thanks. What is used to press 5th/6th gear onto the mainshaft? Do you just use a pipe of the right diameter to slip over the shaft?

It looks like in the manual that different sized pipe like tools are used to press the gears on the shaft. Is there any way you can tell me the specific sizes I need so I dont have to keep running to the hardware store?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK thanks. What is used to press 5th/6th gear onto the mainshaft? Do you just use a pipe of the right diameter to slip over the shaft?

It looks like in the manual that different sized pipe like tools are used to press the gears on the shaft. Is there any way you can tell me the specific sizes I need so I dont have to keep running to the hardware store?
Just finished my T56 upgrade last week. I put the 5/6 combo gear in the oven on 350 for 30 min or so. Slide right on. FWIW, I didn't use a press at all an completely disassembled the trans including the 3/4 synchro assy.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Just finished my T56 upgrade last week. I put the 5/6 combo gear in the oven on 350 for 30 min or so. Slide right on. FWIW, I didn't use a press at all an completely disassembled the trans including the 3/4 synchro assy.
So you heated up all of the gears etc. to slide them on?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
When I rebuilt my T56, I didn't need a press either. Just an extra long puller and a long hollow pipe to "press" the 5/6 and 3/4 synchro hubs back on.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

So you heated up all of the gears etc. to slide them on?
No, just the 5/6 combo and the VSS gear. I used light hammering to do everything else, but I didn't feel comfortable hammering parts onto the main shaft once the case was installed since ultimately the blows would be supported by a bearing.

When I worked on the mainshaft while it was out of the case, I used a vice and a hammer to do most of my work. I padded the vice and hammered the shaft "through" the peice I was trying to remove. Just did it backwards when installing the parts.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys that helps out a lot, that will save me $150 right there.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

where did you download the manual, i have to rebuild my tranny soon and would like the manual.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.ttcautomotive.com

Thanks,
Amber
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know how that manual is free but it's great. You just have to have adobe reader, it is 47 pages. After I printed it out I felt like I won the lottery lol. Even if I have a shitload of trouble with this rebuild, I still got the manual for free
Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I paid $5 for mine on ebay.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I paid $5 for mine on ebay.
Google found me mine in like 20 seconds of searching.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krab
When I rebuilt my T56, I didn't need a press either. Just an extra long puller and a long hollow pipe to "press" the 5/6 and 3/4 synchro hubs back on.
haha what a lucky bastard!

I had to use a hydraulic press to get my 5h and 6th gear off.

We used bearing splitters and an assortment of snap-on pullers. None worked. We tried heat treating it so it will expand. No good... In the process we broke some teeth off, but it never pulled off...
I even ordered a special puller from T-56 rebuilds. It didnt work either.

So fianlly I ported, grinded, and sanded all the teeth off and slid the mainshaft with the broken 5th/6th gear still on it. Went to a hydraulic press and it took 15 tons of force to pry it off. the absolute most pressure Ive ever seen to take anything off in my life.

So just keep n mind, its a stubborn gear sometimes.

Im alsmost done rebuilding it, I just rebuilt everything and put teh case together, I just pressed on the new 5th and 6th gear on teh maibnshaft and now to put the reverse idler and 5th and 6th that meet with the countershaft. and a few other bolts, detent, etc and thats all!!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
haha what a lucky bastard!

I had to use a hydraulic press to get my 5h and 6th gear off.

We used bearing splitters and an assortment of snap-on pullers. None worked. We tried heat treating it so it will expand. No good... In the process we broke some teeth off, but it never pulled off...
I even ordered a special puller from T-56 rebuilds. It didnt work either.

So fianlly I ported, grinded, and sanded all the teeth off and slid the mainshaft with the broken 5th/6th gear still on it. Went to a hydraulic press and it took 15 tons of force to pry it off. the absolute most pressure Ive ever seen to take anything off in my life.

So just keep n mind, its a stubborn gear sometimes.

Im alsmost done rebuilding it, I just rebuilt everything and put teh case together, I just pressed on the new 5th and 6th gear on teh maibnshaft and now to put the reverse idler and 5th and 6th that meet with the countershaft. and a few other bolts, detent, etc and thats all!!
Wow, my 5/6 combo gear came off with just our hands. I was shocked, thought something was broken after all I had read. Must have been my lucky day, had to heat it up to get it back on
Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

So sometimes it takes 15 tons of pressure and sometimes just a pair of hands. I guess I will find out soon with mine. Should be within the next month.

Quick Reply: Possibly rebuilding myself, some questions