Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

sleeve cylinder on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sleeve cylinder on LT1

well my transmission is makin me real mad. Car hates to go into gear when sitting still but running. You have to jam it into gear and what not to get it in unless the car is off or you are moving. Im almost sure its sleeve cylinder so i was wondering how big of a job is a sleeve cylinder and where should i get one? How much?

EDIT: SLAVE Cylinder

Last edited by yamablaster024; 04-15-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
wrencher

Sure it is not a master?
Look at the rod connecting to the pedal & see if the boot at the firewall is wet with fluid.
If not since you have a LT1 you can ispect the slave since it is external on the drivers side of the bellhousing of the transmission.
If it has signs of seapage on either they need replacement then a system bleed.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

The dealer will only sell the master and slave as a complete pre-filled assembly but you can buy either the master OR slave seperatley from auto parts stores. NAPA carrys them seperately for sure as I have bought both from them.

There is no bleeder screw on the LT1 system. The best way is to pull the master and slave as an assembly (which is how they come from the dealer pre-filled), fill the master, and then hold the slave at an angle so that air bubbles can travel up the line to the master (you might have to tap the body of the slave cylinder with a screw driver and/or shake any air bubbles out) and reinstall as an assembly. Or, you can unbolt the slave from the car and hold it at an angle with the line facing up and tap it with a screwdriver handle and work the plunger with your hand and try to work any air out that way. I have in the past just installed them dry, filled them with fluid, and pumped the hell out of the pedal untill my leg felt like it was gonna fall off and it has worked too.

Quick Reply: sleeve cylinder on LT1