Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pops out of 3rd and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Pops out of 3rd and vibration

Hello all. I just bought a 00' Firehawk. It has 28,xxx miles on it. The guy I bought it from put an aftermarket shifter in it, he didn't like the hurst. These are the two issues I am dealing with.

1. Sometimes, mainly when driving on curvey roads, when I am on/off the throttle, just normal driving, it will kick out of third gear. It will normally only do it once. I will put it back in third and it won't do it again for a while. I don't know if a shift fork or something is bent, or if the stops on the shifter need to be adjusted.

2. When it's in third gear under hard acceleration the shifter rattles and makes a lot of noise.

Any ideas? Does the tranny need to come apart? If it does. It's going to have to wait. I just bought the darn thing.

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does the same thing if i put it in 3rd gear and get on the gas its fine but as soon as i let off it pops out. The difference is i have 78,000 miles on it and you only have 28,000. I would say check the stops on the shifter and if that isnt your problem it might be time for a rebuild. Goodluck.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Mine does the same thing except that it will do it about 2 out of 5 times when I put it in 3rd. It only does it under normal driving. When I'm running down the track at WOT, it's fine. It's been like that for about 2 years now. I just don't use 3rd when daily driving. I've been told that it's a blocker ring. The part isn't expensive at all but you gotta tear appart the tranny and that's where it'll cost about $200 or so.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Hello all. I just bought a 00' Firehawk. It has 28,xxx miles on it. The guy I bought it from put an aftermarket shifter in it, he didn't like the hurst. These are the two issues I am dealing with.

1. Sometimes, mainly when driving on curvey roads, when I am on/off the throttle, just normal driving, it will kick out of third gear. It will normally only do it once. I will put it back in third and it won't do it again for a while. I don't know if a shift fork or something is bent, or if the stops on the shifter need to be adjusted.

2. When it's in third gear under hard acceleration the shifter rattles and makes a lot of noise.

Any ideas? Does the tranny need to come apart? If it does. It's going to have to wait. I just bought the darn thing.

Thank you.
My car is the same in 2nd I heard its the syncros im getting my T-56 rebuilt i dont have enough money or power for a TH400
Old 04-17-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

it could be a couple things, you could have a bad synchro, or you could have a bad blocker ring. Or the shifter stop on the shifter could be set to far forward causing the shifter to not fully engage 3rd gear and make it pop out.....pull it apart and check the shifter stops
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

popping out of 3rd is a TSB for the 2000 year fbods. Its the 3/4 shifter fork, needs to be replaced. I have a 2000 myself and i hope it doesnt get my tranny!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I talked to the guy I bout the car from last night. He said the car has a Lou's Short Stick in it. He said that the car didn't kick out of gear till after he put it on. He said something about the short stick doesn't have a rubber or plastic piece like the OEM shifter does. I have no idea what he talking about. So it looks like the handle is the only thing different and not the lower part of the shifter. Does the OEM hurst shifter have stops that can be adjusted?

Just to let you guys know, GM is doing some out of warranty, warranty work. They are trying to make their customers happy. I tried to have one dealership I go to fix it. When they found out my fiance had bought her 05' Avavlanche at their main competitor, they pretty much told me to go screw myself.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it's the bent 3/4 shift fork i've been there done that good luck,
Old 05-04-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I talked to the guy I bout the car from last night. He said the car has a Lou's Short Stick in it. He said that the car didn't kick out of gear till after he put it on. He said something about the short stick doesn't have a rubber or plastic piece like the OEM shifter does. I have no idea what he talking about. So it looks like the handle is the only thing different and not the lower part of the shifter. Does the OEM hurst shifter have stops that can be adjusted?

Just to let you guys know, GM is doing some out of warranty, warranty work. They are trying to make their customers happy. I tried to have one dealership I go to fix it. When they found out my fiance had bought her 05' Avavlanche at their main competitor, they pretty much told me to go screw myself.

The short stick is just that, a shorter stick. The factory stick does have a rubber piece at the bottom to keep you from feeling vibrations.

I would pull your boot off and check to make sure its not loose. Other than that, it is something internal. There are no adjustments on the stock shifter. My car has been doing it for a little over 2 years. I don't use 3rd unless i'm on it anyways and it works everytime.

Since you just got the car you probably missed 3rd or hit it hard and bent the fork. Obviously from the posts above you can see WE ALL DO IT

Drive it till it stops working.

Quick Reply: Pops out of 3rd and vibration