Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please help diagnose Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help diagnose Problem

Ok I will try to keep this short but with details. I recently went out to vir and did a open track event and while I was out there my third gear started to go out. Every once and a while it would pop out of gear on the street but at the track whenever I would down shift to third it would pop out and would not stay in 3rd gear. Now when ever I went all the way down to 2nd and upshifted to 3rd gear it stayed in then. Iam not sure why it would do that. I thought it was my sycro's (sp) but my buddy told me the other day he noticed when we put my clutch in that the slave cylinder rod looked a little bent. I asked why he did tell me this earlier but thats beside the point. If the rod is bent could that cause 3rd gear not to engage on downshifts. On normal street driving its fine I can down shift into it but if I try to do it at higher rpm's it will just pop out. If anyone could please help out that would be great because I need to get this fixed before may 5-6 which is the next track day.
-Thanks Brandon
-Also on the downshifts to 3rd the shifter goes into third it will just pop out when I let out the clutch(at higher rpms)
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bent rod on the extrenal slave (LT1) can cause a slower release / incomplete release of the clutch in a quick shift situation. This may give you a hard shift/ clash shift but I don't see it causing a gear jump out.What is maybe more significant is if you still have the original aluminum 3/4 shift fork( not the up-grade iron fork). If you do , that fork is your problem with 3rd.You will still want to straighten/ replace that rod however.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today I took it out and completely dismantled the thing. I bought a third to forth shift fork(steel) and put that in but that wasent the problem. I found the sycro's where worn so I replaced those as well. I also dismantled the skip shift crap.
-Brandon