Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Assembly Grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Assembly Grease

What type of assembly grease is circled in the pic?

Or I should ask, what does everyone use to grease the T56 when rebuilding it and where would I be able to pick some up? Is there a correct name for it? I have heard mention of "transdel"? Last one, what are the common areas to grease when rebuilding the trans?
Attached Thumbnails Assembly Grease-transgrease.jpg  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just use the normal ATF that you plan on using in the trans and make sure you get a liberal coating on the gears and bearings. That's all I did on my rebuild with no problems. If you're really paranoid you could put it in gear after the rebuild, put some atf in it and spin the input to distribute the fluid, then drain before install.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the product you are referencing is "transgel". It is a brand name of assembly product. It is a thick ATF product as opposed to a grease. Grease in a T56 is undesireable. It is really only needed to hold shims and bearing races in place while assembling the trans. The lube with ATF of all bearings and blocker rings is all that is really needed for the build.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you guys for this info!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't use any grease at all. I wet the blocker rings in a little atf during assembly and put it together. When you fill up the trans, you will get plenty of lube on the bearings. Put it in neutral when you first start it and let it idle a bit before you put any load on it and you will have plenty of lube on everything.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats all fine & good but this product is an assembly aid or "glue" to hold parts in place while they are being assembled.If the trans sets around for awhile after assembly, this stuff does not run off the parts like ATF. It is not mandatory for rebuilding but it does have its place.

Quick Reply: Assembly Grease