Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Researching clutch setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Researching clutch setups

So I see all these posts about different setups.

Currently I have an LS6 clutch set up on my bolt on '00 SS. It's junk and is dead, the pressure plate is junk (sticks to the floor during hard acceleration) and now the disc is really on the way out (hard launch last week ate it up).

I was going to get the LS7 setup since I'm only around 350 whp right now. The thing that is making me nervous is that I'm going to be adding gears and stickies during the install. Then will add performance stuff, I'm thinking cam and tune within a few months, then maybe intake and t/b or heads after that. So I horse power will be increasing, who knows I may give in and squeeze on the setup also.

I just don't want to put the LS7 in and then have issues 6-8 months down the road, like I'm having now. The reason I like the LS7 is it's within my budget (cheap) and will allow me to do stickies and gears right now. I don't know how durable the LS7 setup is, could it take the abuse. I'm pretty hard on clutches as is (WOT shifts, hard launches/practice launches).

If I purchase a Spec or Ram it will eat into my budget and I may only be able to add gears to the mix.

If I were to decide on the Spec I'd go with the stage 3+ or if I go Ram I'd go Powergrip HD.

One question, I'm under the impression that with Spec you have to use their flywheel for warranty purposes, but what about Ram could I use a stock LS2 one?

Also wanted to note I have updated hydrolics (drill mod), but will be replacing the slave for insurance since it's right there.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Braunbeck
So I see all these posts about different setups.

Currently I have an LS6 clutch set up on my bolt on '00 SS. It's junk and is dead, the pressure plate is junk (sticks to the floor during hard acceleration) and now the disc is really on the way out (hard launch last week ate it up).

I was going to get the LS7 setup since I'm only around 350 whp right now. The thing that is making me nervous is that I'm going to be adding gears and stickies during the install. Then will add performance stuff, I'm thinking cam and tune within a few months, then maybe intake and t/b or heads after that. So I horse power will be increasing, who knows I may give in and squeeze on the setup also.

I just don't want to put the LS7 in and then have issues 6-8 months down the road, like I'm having now. The reason I like the LS7 is it's within my budget (cheap) and will allow me to do stickies and gears right now. I don't know how durable the LS7 setup is, could it take the abuse. I'm pretty hard on clutches as is (WOT shifts, hard launches/practice launches).

If I purchase a Spec or Ram it will eat into my budget and I may only be able to add gears to the mix.

If I were to decide on the Spec I'd go with the stage 3+ or if I go Ram I'd go Powergrip HD.

One question, I'm under the impression that with Spec you have to use their flywheel for warranty purposes, but what about Ram could I use a stock LS2 one?

Also wanted to note I have updated hydrolics (drill mod), but will be replacing the slave for insurance since it's right there.

Thanks for any feedback.
If you are on the stock rear. Burning the LS7 clutch will be the least of your worries. The LS7 clutch lives behind ~450 rwhp in it's native home everyday. So that sould ease your mind some., Is it the best clutch? No, however for the power level you will be at for the near future, it will hold fine. Good enough to snap your stock rear..
Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Braun, There is no requirement that you use our flywheel. The biggest concern is making sure that the flywheel that you do use is flat. It is pretty normal for folks to reuse the stock wheel. I suggest making sure how much material removal will be required to acheive a flat surface. Other than that (assuming that the surfaces are flat) you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Researching clutch setups