Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch master cylinder rod clip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Clutch master cylinder rod clip?

I did a search but didn't come up with anything...looking for a part number on the retaining clip that holds the clutch master cylinder rod onto the clutch pedel. Anyone?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im using a "C" clip on mine. Im not sure the techie term... Looks more like a C and an E put together... here is a picture of what I mean.

Seems to work fine. But then again I have a RAM master cylinder with a spherical rod end...so maybe it wouldnt work with a stocker.

Justin
Old 05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the stock pedal setup atleast
Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the part number...I have been using a c-clip for awhile and I just don't trust it.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Thank you for the part number...I have been using a c-clip for awhile and I just don't trust it.
Hey man, Do you have or can you get any pictures of how you have your clutch master cylinder oriented on the firewall? Just a general shot of the cylinder and rod and pedals. Im just curious how "lined up" things are. I wasnt able to the rod perfectly parallel to the cylinder body and I think it ruined my last master cylinder. I have some ideas to get it better...but I just wanted to see how good you were able to get it. Thanks!

Edit...Just realized your car may have been a 5spd from the factory... If it was, nevermind about the pics.

Justin
Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll see if I can get some pics...my car was an automatic originally. Mine doesn't line up all that great either.....was wondering if it will hurt the master cylinder over time.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

After 2000 miles of mine being lined up almost straight, mine started to leak on the inside. Upon taking it out, I found some scoring ont he plunger only on one side. Im not sure if the push rod was pushing it to the side and making friction, or if the constant side pressure wore the seal... not sure...

When I first put it together, this is how bad it was lined up...

Now it looks like this. It was never driven like the above pics. Just like this one...

Im going to adjust it some more with the new master cylinder and try to get her even more straight. I swapped my adjustable rod into the new master cylinder so I can mess with the rod length. We'll see how it goes...

Sorry to hijack your thread, but since its semi-related and you got your part number I figured it would be ok.

Justin
Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good pics.......I am thinkng I will have an issue with mine because it has just started to stick a bit at full travel and the master is brand new. I might have to crawl under there and do some more tweaking. I HATE working on that damn master cylinder!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...I wish I knew for sure if it was going to be an issue. But since I dont, Im going to try my best to make it line up better.

I found that slotting the holes alittle for the bolts helps. Rotating the body instead of sliding it up and down seems to work good. Since mine was off in a couple directions.

I hate crawling under there too. Such a pain in the butt. I think Im reinstalling it all tomorrow along with my insulation for the clutch line. So Ill let you know and snap some pics of how it lines up afterwards.

J.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I fianlly got a chance to fiddle around with my master cylinder. Glad I did....it works much smoother now and the slight sticking at full travel is gone. I had to slot the holes a bit so I could rotate the cylinder. It didn't take much but it's seems ALOT better now. BTW...the part number listed above worked like a champ and was only $1.55 with tax from the local dealer who ACTAULLY had them in stock. My pics are kinda blurry

This is what it looked like before

And now after rotating it slightly for a better angle.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff man! Looks pretty good now. Next to the exhaust, that part of the swap was the single biggest pain in the butt... I wish I had a 5spd car, so that things would have atleast been lined up alittle better to start with.

Justin

Quick Reply: Clutch master cylinder rod clip?