Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I have everything I need for my Clutch swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do I have everything I need for my Clutch swap?

I ordered my new Ram HD powergrip clutch and a new GM slave cylinder form tsp and I got my pilot bearing at a local parts store. Ordering a new factory replacement GM flywheel. What else will I need?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is pretty much it internal to the bellhousing. make sure you are prepaired w/tools to get the pilot bearing out.
That & a clutch alignment tool.
You can also concider doing the drill mod as well, for good measure.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, sounds complete. Dunno if you've ever dropped the trans, but you're gonna need some long extensions to get the top gearbox to flywheel bolts out. I'd say in the area of 30"-40". Threadlocker, and make sure you have trans fluid on hand to refill.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

I have all the tools and a couple of buddies who have done this before. I have heard about this drill mod but can't remember what it does for sure and how to do it. Whats the ups and what tools
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The drill mod removes a restriction in the line between the slave and master. Its mostly to allow you to shift into 3rd without delay when you're beating on it.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...r_cylinder.htm

Only off the wall tools you'll need are the alignment tool, pilot bearing puller (rent it at autozone), long extensions (with wobble heads even better) to get the top bellhousing bolts out. A trans jack would be nice, but if you've got some big friends it's not a requirement.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

I would also replace the master when you're there, do it all at once and be done!!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome... well I work at autozone and My buddy works at a dealership and we get to use their lift and tools after hours. They have all done it in their cars but I was kinda wanting to learn for myself. Just have them hangin aound for when I got a question and to steer me the right way. Also money is tight so is a master cylinder really neccasary? What are some symptoms of a faulty one?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most the time your master will be fine. The quick check is to disconnect the line from the slave and try and push the master with normal pressure. If the pedal doesn't move it's okay. If it does then you either have a leak, bad seals, or air in it. Don't worry about the master if it's not leaking, you can replace it much easier than the slave. A lot of people get so fed up with clutch and bleeding problems that they apply the shotgun technique and just replace everything.

Quick Reply: Do I have everything I need for my Clutch swap?