Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Covering the clutch line

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering the clutch line

I was looking into wrapping the clutch line near the trans cuz its close to the headers and i was just wondering what everyone uses to wrap the line???
Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...here is what Im doing. Its probably overkill, but I wont have heat issues with my clutch line anymore...

I tried a split style heat wrap...but the headers melted it.

So...this time around with a new master and line... I cut off the factory rubber insulator. rapped it with alum. foil...the cooking kind from you kitchen. then installed the split heat wrap. Then put a piece of heater hose around the whole thing. THEN I put some accel spark plug boot sleeves over all of that. Held them together with 2000 deg. heat tape. haha.

I had the plug sleeves laying around from my last car. They work great. I have a set on this car too. Plug boot is laying against the header tube, with only the boot sleeve and it never melts or turns brown or anything.

Anyway...thats what Im doing. I also built a custom heat sheild from stainless steel.

When I first started driving my swap car, the fluid was turning black really quick and I was having shifting issues. So I went overboard this time to avoid all fluid boiling problems.

A lot of guys are just using alum. foil and heater hose. That seems to work as long as you can keep your line away from the headers/exhaust. Since my car is a swap car, my tolerances were so close I needed extra protection.

Just my recipe...

Justin
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input, i dont think its overkill at all i dont think you will ever have a problem again. The spark plug boot idea i think is awesome. I planned on wrapping the line with aluminum foil and then running a rubber fuel line over that but the spark plug boot seems like the way to go now that i think about it.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...I mean you will still get heat through those boots, but they will keep the rubber hose from melting. So it doesnt get THAT hot in there.

I figure it like this... Since my car is a swap car its alittle different. But a couple of the primaries on my headers are positioned such that the spark plug boot is hard into them. So I figured Ide try those sleeves. The boot is pushing against the inside of the sleeve then against the header primary. Right out of the head is pretty damn hot, and the plug boot shows no sign of heat damage after 2000 miles. Sleeve still looks brand new...not even browned.

So...I figured they would be great for my clutch line. And since they are woven, you can stetch them skinnier and longer ( think chinese finger trap), and probably do the length of the line with a few of them.

Advance has packs of two in stock so you dont have to buy a set of 8... Atleast the advance by me anyway.

Good luck and post up your results if you insulate it!

Justin
Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used to have a lot of trouble with header heat. I bought a thermal sleeve from summit (summit part# THE-14010). It's 3ft long for 16 bucks, I slid it over the line all the way up to the master cylinder, then cut off the extra. I run the line as far from the header as possible using the stock heat shield to keep the line in place. Where the line bends to go into the bellhousing, I bent the bottom of the stock shield away from the line, sort of an "S" bend to create an air gap between the metal shield and the line. Seems to be working, I'm running cheap autozone DOT3 and haven't lost pressure yet. I just installed new hydraulics with a remote bleeder and made sure all of the air was bled out of the system.

good luck
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunetly, my car is an 87, and with the swap headers, there is just no way to get the line completely away from things. I built my own stainless heat shield, and used a heat sleeve, but I still felt that it was burning the fluid. It was turning black really quick.

Anyway...Just wrapped my line yesterday on the new master cylinder. Figured Ide throw a couple of pictures up for the heck of it. Ignore the messy work area...

Stripped the factory rubber insulator...

Wrapped with foil...

Split rubber hose held in place by heat tape...

Finally, covered with my old spark plug boot sleeves. Took 3 of them to cover the line. They are held together/in place by the heat tape. Im also going to use this heat tape on all my fuel and brake lines that run close to the header collector.

...I dont think thats going to boil/melt anything now...

Justin
Old 05-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, holy **** that looks awesome. I thought it would be a mess to do but you did a good job with that. The pics def did do some justice. It even has a factory look. After seeing that im taking my line out this weekend and doing it, thanks for the pics.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool man glad the pics helped ya some. It wasnt hard at all... Toughest part was making a slit down the rubber hose actually. Just tryin to keep it nice and straight. Other than that it was childs play.

And as I stated before, it might be overkill. But after seeing how well those boot sleeves worked, I KNOW nothing is going to melt or boil. Alteast not easily.

Justin
Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I used two extra spark plug wraps that I had laying around. Had to cut the steel ring out of them. I also used some radiator hose and aluminized tape. I just replaced all the hydraulics in the system and the clutch couldn't be better.

Here's a pic from under the car
Attached Thumbnails Covering the clutch line-hyd-line.jpg  
Old 05-11-2007, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Will this work?

Thunder Racing sell it. It's made by DEI.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i can wrap my line with aluminum foil? And then wrap it with heater hose?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont remember where I read that...but it was somewhere on this forum. Alum. foil works good for other things. I didnt use heater hose because I didnt have room. I hardly had room to use the 3/8" high temp fuel line that I used. I guess time will tell. If I go a month without the fluid in the reservoir turning black, then I guess something is working right. haha.

Justin
Old 05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I dont remember where I read that...but it was somewhere on this forum. Alum. foil works good for other things. I didnt use heater hose because I didnt have room. I hardly had room to use the 3/8" high temp fuel line that I used. I guess time will tell. If I go a month without the fluid in the reservoir turning black, then I guess something is working right. haha.

Justin
Ok...thanks.

I will most likely just give the heater or fuel line a try and see how it works.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I use heater hose/fuel hose.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brad8266
I use heater hose/fuel hose.
Ok thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragula
Will this work?

Thunder Racing sell it. It's made by DEI.

DEI makes some other products too, looks to be just the right thing.

Quick Reply: Covering the clutch line