Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

high pitched squeal on 1st clutch release of the day (only in forward)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitched squeal on 1st clutch release of the day (only in forward)

had this problem for about a year.

if the car sits for a while....better part of a day or more. as i release the clutch in 1st gear i get a high pitched squeal.

now this ONLY happens when i'm using 1st gear....if i reverse out of the driveway it doesn't do it. but once i put it in 1st and pull ahead, it squeals as the clutch is released. occasionally it will do it again if i have to come to a stop within a few feet of that first forward pull. but usually it won't happen again untill the car is parked for a while. and it doesn't do it shifting to 2nd.

now...

i had the hydrolics on the car go out last month. so i pulled the trans and installed new pilot bushing, TO bearing, slave, and master cyl. along with a trans fluid change.

didn't seem to make the sound for the first few drives. now it's making it again.

all i can figure is its either in the trans....or its some kind of build up on the clutch/flywheel.

clutch still grabs hard, no chatter, and drives like it always has.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Spec 3 does it as well. Sometimes its really loud others its not too bad. Someone told me it has to do with the material the clutch is made out of. Ceramic in it maybe???

Anyway I noticed that if I let the can run for a few minutes and warm up, it doesnt do it. I guess the heat transfers into the clutch disc and makes it act as if it was warmed up already (like pulling forward for the first time does).

Someone else might have other/correct info though...

Justin
Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

My spec stage 3 does this too, but it still grabs hard with no chatter and drives like it always has. I thought it may be that the clutch disc is worn out and the rivets are touching the flywheel? After all the clutch has been in my car forever with countless track passes. I would like to know what it is also.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

might be your pilot bushing.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow im glad i found this, go search button. this is what is happening to me. i drove my car over to a girls place, let it sit for a few hours. then drive it back home. i had to reverse out of the parking spot and it didnt make any noise. then when i hit first gear, i made like a rubbing squeal that would seem similar to brakes, but it was when i released the clutch.

i have a spec 3 as well, that was in there when i bought the car, so im pretty much clueless on the mileage. is it the clutch telling me that it is dying? or did i install the pilot bearing incorrectly?

i have a bronze pilot bearing with about 6-7K miles, MC, SC with about the same mileage on it as well, maybe 500 miles more. i also have a BADASS, ROCK SOLID t56 built by Six Speeds Inc. WOOT! that i do not want to hurt by me running a dead clutch or anything like that.

any updates on this? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump for help please
Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

as for the rivets question....when i pulled my clutch last month, there was minimal wear off of the friction pucks.

stock Spec 4 pucks measure .310" thick, and mine were still over .300"....spec said change it under .280"

so it isn't a worn out clutch for me.

even the flywheel was reasonable.

mine started doing the noise after about 5K miles of driving on the clutch...at first it never made it.

as with the guy above, my pilot, mc, slave, TO are all NEW as of last month.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM

do u leave the car in gear when u park it?

if u do, try not doing that, just leav it in nuetral, and pull the E-brake all the way back.

my buddy had the same problem in his WS6
Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

i NEVER leave it in gear....

well maybe 2-3 times in the past 4 yrs...on steep hills.

next suggestion?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

never leave it in gear either
Old 05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

You will get some sound with any clutch disc as it gets to the engagement point. The more agressive the material the more potential for this sound. It is not an indication of an issue. If this were a bearing sound it would be present with the pedal out and not with the pedal in, It would also be consistent.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

that make sense to me. but i'm still curious.

why did it take a year for it to show up?
why does it ONLY happen once (maybe twice) right after i first start the car for the day?
and why on that first start up...does it NOT do it in reverse, but only in 1st?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You didnt say what type of clutch you were running but I would think a spec.
I guess this is normal for them as mine did it to, but it was any time starting in first. the clutch makes your car sound like a POS I was so disapointed with it I swithched to a textrailia and couldnt be happier.
Good luck I did searhing and I didnt find any solution, some people just live with it I guess.
By the way I see that it is a spec 4 in your sig sorry.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

My spec 3 sounds like you are stepping on a baby rabbit when cold on engagement.
It has never hurt the performance.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
never leave it in gear either
Sorry if this sounds stupid...but since when it is bad to leave a manual trans car in gear when you park? I thought that was normal practice. Ive never owned a stick car, but I always remember being "taught" to leave a car in gear.

So at the risk of sounding like a newb...why is it bad to leave it in gear...

Justin
Old 05-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I don't think dude was saying its bad, just saying he doesn't leave it in gear either... I never leave mini in gear either, I always forget it when I do and release the clutch after starting it lol that'll make ya feel like a jack ***...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was only askin because a couple of the other guys above him said they never leave it in gear...and seemed sort of passionate about it. First thing I do when I sit down in the car is clutch in, grab the shifter to take it out of gear, and then fire it. Its like a habit and Ive only been drivingt he car for about 2000 miles.

Haha only thing i did that made me feel dumb is let the clutch out before i shut the car off. Chirped the tires just from dumping the clutch.haha.

J.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah the clutch is a SPEC 4....i think ceramic pucks

strange how it only does it in forward, the first time you engage it. like i said i've reversed several times out of the driveway...no sound. but soon as i pull forward in 1st...

SQUEAL

as for the "in gear" thing.

when you think about it, whether the trans is in gear or not, the clutch is the same. so what difference does it make on that?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thats what I was thinkin... Which is why I thought it was weird that it sounded bad to leave her in gear.

You are right man..it is weird how it makes noise only in the morning. My thoughts like I said above are the material of the friction disc. and the temp. Ceramic brake pads are noisy sometimes too. But they have great stopping power and low dust. Trade off is alittle noise. Probably the same principle. Mine will do it in reverse every so often, but when I reverse, Im taking it much more easy. Im not trying to "GO". When I try to "GO" forward is when it will squeal alittle. If I let her warm up for a few minutes, silent.

Its just one of the many things that Ive learned to live with now that my car is at its current perfomance level.

Makes it sound kind of like a piece at first...but once the RPMs are above 2000, anyone that heard it and thought "its a piece" has already changed their minds

J.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

It is actually normal for there to be more noise when cold...temperature effects this. As a side note it is quite likely that the reason that you hear it when in first and not reverse is due to the way that you actuate the pedal. It is inlikely that you do the exact same thing in reverse as in first. Just a thought...Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,