Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch, Shifting Problems NEED HELP!!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch, Shifting Problems NEED HELP!!!!!

I just got done rebuilding my first LS1, I am a new 98 camaro ss owner. I fired the car up for the first time today the car sounds awesome but, I can not get it to go in to any gear. I put a new Spec 2+ clutch in it. The car starts in first gear but, when you take it out of first gear I get the same results wont go in gear. The pedal feels good, need some help!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly did you replace when you did the clutch? Is it grinding going into gear? Did you put any shims in with the clutch? Did you have the flywheel resurfaced?

If your hydraulics are properly bled, the issue is the PP not releasing. Possibilities are warped pp/flywheel, slave isn't pushing enough to release the pp, pp is bad, warped disc.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the feed back, I didn't change the clutch slave, but did put a shim in. It was working good before the rebuild. It doesn't grind into gear, but it makes the Idle bog down near quit when you try to force it. I got the flywheel resurfaced and balanced. It might be possible that I need to bleed it more. I was wondering if there might be something in the electrical that would cause that problem?

Last edited by JcRowdy1; 05-10-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing electrical would cause that. When they resurfaced the flywheel how much did they take off? Did the shim you put in come with the clutch? Did you shim to compensate for the thinner flywheel?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Teching In

The shim came with the clutch, not sure how much they took off the flywheel. I am going to try to bleed it again, and go from there to see if I need a bigger shim. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Jc, Is the engagement point low or high? This will provide info relative to the shim...
Is the pedal consistent in terms of effort? Does the pedal return to its original posistion without lag or without sticking? Did you check the flywheel for flatness before installing? Was the transmission hung off the shaft during install (this could bend a disc). I just wanted to make sure I had all the info available. Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Spec 01, After bleeding again, I got it to go into 1,3,4,5, no 2,6 or rev, rev grinds trying to go in. It is still hard to get in those gear,but they go in. The engagement is almost instant after pedal release. The pedal got easier after I bleed it which seems weird to me you would think it would get harder. I didn't see much air come out just fluid, maybe a little the first couple times I cracked the bleeder. The tranny was slid in was not hung by the shaft during install. Will try to bleed it some more already been on it for a half hour? Every thing worked good before the rebuild, getting frustrated.

Last edited by JcRowdy1; 05-10-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

JC, I responded to your PM but I thought I would ask here as well. With the pedal being low I am curious as to whether the shim was installed? Let me know. Thanks,
Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Well guys thanks for all the help. After hours of bleeding, cutting a hole in the fire wall, and more bleeding. I got it to go into all gears. Rev. ground first few times going in, but after driven it it goes in alot better. Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I just had the same problem after i installed my clutch last week and all it needed was a good bleed and everything went to normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Clutch, Shifting Problems NEED HELP!!!!!