Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec stage 2 vs LS6 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec stage 2 vs LS6 clutch

Just how good does a LS6 clutch hold? I hear it has a stronger pressure plate.. Anyone pushing 400-450 horsepower on this clutch?? The spec stage 2 is simmilar disc design but its kevlar right? Hows the drivability and holding power on the stage 2?? Any shuddering??

How are these clutches compared to the spec stage 3,, the puck design. Pros and cons?? I have a stage 3 and I just want to compare it to other clutches.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

An LS6 assembly has a plate that provides very little increase in clamp-load over what you have now; it also uses an organic disc also similar to your stock clutch. A Stage 2 uses a built plate and a kevlar disc which has a higher friction coeffecient. The stage 2 can chatter a bit upon initial installation but it will break-in and smooth-out nicely. If you have used a stage 3 then you will be amazed at the smoothness of the 2. Remember, stage 2 has a lower torque capacity than stage 3. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 05-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the good info. My stage 3 is alright, just wondering if the stage 2 is smoother meaning less shudder and drives more like a stock clutch. What is the torque capacity of a stage 2? The stage 2 is much stronger than an ls6 right?

Also, does a kevlar clutch have a shorter life than an organic ls6 style clutch?(considering they are both driven in the same manner, street/strip on a 400hp car)
Old 05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Stage 2 is rated to 530lb.-ft. This is 150lb.-ft less than the stage 3. It is considerably stronger than the OE LS6 clutch. Kevlar is generally more durable than organic. Of course this is relative to the break-in and flatness of the surfaces used (flywheel and pressure-plate) as well as the way it is driven. I am a fan of the 2+...it is what I am currently running...and it provides greater torque capacity (620lb.-ft) than a Stage 2 but is just as drivable. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 05-10-2007, 04:43 PM

I looked at the stage 2+. that looks like an awesome design. Hybrid of a stage 2 and 3 so you get the best of both. Thats exactly the kind of clutch I would want.

What is that 3+ and stage 5 made out of? Some kind of iron?

Quick Reply: Spec stage 2 vs LS6 clutch