Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Exo skel slipping at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exo skel slipping at the track

I've had it in the car for a couple of months with a few hundred break in miles and both times I've ran at the local track it has slipped in all 4 gears. Right now the car is making 800 hp at the tire. I figured I'd ask if anyone else is having any issues like this and what was your solutions.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Last edited by AzzBustin30th; 05-16-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Boy,
Just bought same clutch and just about to put it in my car and now see this thing!Holy Moly..that thing is just disintergrating big time.
I hope someone from textralia posts real quick in this thread and makes some kind of explanation and wonder if this clutch is flawed big time. A few months of use and a few drag passes? I am very very depressed right now my clutch is still in the box but my car has been down for a couple of years. I finally save scratch up the money for what I think will be the ultimate cltuch and now I see it looking like this. And I plan on similar power thats why bought it over the 0z700. Are Oz700 guys having this problem with them or are the materials that much different on the exoskel.?
I am now wondering if there is a or should be a recall.
Lets here it Textralia what is up with this and what are you goint to do about it. It a lot of work to put in my new twin disc and have it look like this a few months down the road. Looks like the disc material is just not up to the task.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

listen their is a guy with a gto making 10 second passes all year with an exoskel, obviously he has an isolated problem
Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firepwr
I've had it in the car for a couple of months with a few hundred break in miles and both times I've ran at the local track it has slipped in all 4 gears. Right now the car is making 800 hp at the tire. I figured I'd ask if anyone else is having any issues like this and what was your solutions.
Did you have your slave cylinder machined???
Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

OK SS how long have you had your exocel in your car now ,how many miles, any track runs yet, how is pedal pressure, how is chatter. How noisy when you press in pedal?

I am wondering how many guys are running these now should be quite a few in australia also. I want to have some faith in this thing.It looks great sitting in the box. But that guys pics show a clutch that is really bad shape.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Why can't ARP bolts be used on the pressure plate???
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default found my problem

I never knew that i wasn't supposed to run the arp flywheel bolts with the exo skel. I'm currently sending it out to be fixed and when i get it back new stock bolts are going back in. I knew there was something funny going on for it to be slipping so soon. I can't wait to get it back and hopefully run some high 9 second passes with it.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I did buy it from you guys! I am just worried me and clutches don't get along too good! My car has mostly sat for a few years do to various clutch and hydraulic issues.
I have reached the end and if the textralia twin and upgraded t56 dont cut it on my twin turbo setup then its auto time no more clutches ever again for me! But car is street car mostly and thats why like the stick. Sticks pretty much suck as race cars but they are fun on street.

I am finally getting it back together in next few days. Your clutch is sitting in that little wood box in the garage and bought new master just waiting on new slave that also got from you guys to show up. I did the drill mod too already. So thats good to hear on the wrong bolts.There was zero instructions in the box. I have no read some posts and have pretty good idea on most of it..but the torque specs are in nm not ft pounds. so what are flywheel and pressure plate torque specs in ft pounds? If I use red loctite on pressure plate bolts and flywheel can I take them off when put in new engine next spring?
and if there was some other posts about this that I missed apologize was searching everything I could find on the new twin disc. Paranoid is my middle name..!! Sorry!

So again apologize I had no intention of cutting down my new clutch but have also seen textralia posting directly on these boards. I did send them an email but of course time change and stuff.

Just glad you guys sent me the right flywheel bolts!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Do the same bolt issues affect the OZ 700 also??
Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
nope.
where'd the pics go? and why cant ARP bolts be used?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
where'd the pics go? and why cant ARP bolts be used?
I just bought the OZ700 and the ARP flywheel bolts. Understand they can be used with mine but I am curious about this as well (never know when an upgrade will be required).
Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

I asked them to remove it because there is nothing wrong with the clutch, the damage was due to the ARPs which is suggested not to be used with the EXO-SKEL according to Tex and even though it is their call, they were kind enough to oblige and I thank them for it.

Tex is taking care of Adam.
do you know why Tex doesnt recommend ARP bolts?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You cannot use ARP flywheel bolts with an Exo-Skel clutch. The ARP bolt has a head which is too tall. The net effect of using an ARP bolt is that it prevents the disc from making full contact with the flywheel, and leads to premature clutch failure.

We have made ARP aware of the issue several months ago, but at this point it simply requires using a GM flywheel bolt with exo-skels for installation. The stock bolt is more than adequate for the task.

TO be clear, there is no issue using an ARP flywheel bolt with an OZ700 Single disc clutch.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Dood I just explained it up top, #16.
somehow missed that. Thanks for adding more to that Textralia

Quick Reply: Exo skel slipping at the track