Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ram powergrip issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram powergrip issues

I have a ram powergrip (500hp) with about 6,000 miles on it. Recently I noticed the clutch was engaging more and more close to the top and it began to slip in higher gears. My car only makes about 350 hp and I know I didn't abuse it enough ruin it. I also gave it 500 miles to break in. Has anyone else had a similiar issues and know what the problem is or are ram clutches ****?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would pull the tranny and take a look at things. Higher than normal engagement makes me think the clutch bolts around the perimeter of the flywheel have backed out, letting the clutch become closer to the slave.

If the bolts had backed out, the clutch could not keep as much pressure on the friction disk, because the clutch has backed off the flywheel. this could possibly cause slipping.

pull the tranny out a little and take a look at those bolts.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

I just recently learned that a spacer was put in when the shop installed it and it could be putting a load on the pressure plate. I'm also going to try an adjustable slave too. Do you know how hard it is to install? Do you know of any step by step directions? Thanks for your help.