Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My pedal died...

Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My pedal died...

So I'm racing a supra (and winning, by the way)... and perfect timing, my clutch pedal drops to the floor. I pull off the highway, assuming that I was either gonna find the line detatched, or find fluid pouring out of the bellhousing. But I couldn't find anything wrong there.

The clutch will no longer disengage, but after checking the reservoir, I haven't lost any fluid. I've tried pumping the hell out of it, with no noticeable results.

After I sucked in up, and decided to baby in home with an engaged clutch, It made a loud rattling noise as I was getting on the highway, but it stopped shortly after I made it to 6th gear. I have no idea what that was.

The clutch, master, slave, flywheel, and pressure plate were all new about 60,000 miles ago. The clutch is a Centerforce (yeah, I know they suck, but it was free), and I haven't had any problems with any of it since it was installed. Somebody please help!

I'm thinking it's the master... but could it go out that suddenly?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Update: It just went to hell. No more pedal at all... no more clutch being engaged... and a whole lot of funny noise. My car's no longer roadworthy. Hmmm... centerforce...
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

60,000 miles??? Damn you must be easy on an aftermarket clutch....Thats awesome! Especially a centerforce!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First guess would be what you said, busted slave with fluid leaking out of the bell, but you're not seeing that. Only other I'd thing to think is that a seal in the master is screwed up and allowing fluid to bypass it, but you'd usually get leaking fluid where the rod enters the master.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

Turned out, it had nothing to do with the hydros. What a surprise.

Actually, the centerforce disc had somehow come apart, and jammed the clutch engaged. When I finally cracked open the bellhousing... I got my face covered in clutch. The bellhousing was full of powder and chunks of clutch. All that remained in tact of the disc... was the hub. Destroyed the pp, fly, and left marks on the bell and the starter. Think they'll be alright. Bought an LS7 disc/pp/flywheel and new factory hydros... and it's working better than ever. Love the LS7 clutch, helped me pull a Mustang GT with a Procharger yseterday!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that's not good. Lucky it didn't blow up worse on you. Bye bye legs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My pedal died...