Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch install problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch install problems

As I obviously don't own a Chevy, I'm asking for a friend with a very nice '86 IROC (305). We just finished installing a new clutch (just a Borg Warner direct replacement... by the way, your torque arms SUCK! ) and bled the system. It was bled correctly, but the clutch still feels like a limp noodle, and the trans won't go into gear with the engine running. Ford Boy here has a mechanical clutch, and I'm not too familiar with the hydraulic system. The throwout bearing is installed correctly (unless I temporarily went insane, I'm sure it's in right), and everything else seems good. So far my thoughts would lead me to believe that somehow the slave cylinder got broken, but if anyone who is a bit more familiar has any other ideas I'd like to hear them. We'll be looking at it tomorrow, were too pissed at it to bother tonight
One final thing that would probably help is that even after bleeding the system, the clutch fork still moves VERY easily, like there is no resistance at all. The reservoir is also still full. Thanks

Chris
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Nobody?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Soooo... nobody in the trans section knows anything about the elusive T5 and/or hydraulic clutches in general?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not familar with the T-5s at all. I assume they are set up similar to the 93-97 T-56s. Hyd. master cylinder, to a slave that is attached to the bell housing, that pushes on a clutch fork?

Only suggestions I can make is bleed bleed bleed..then bleed alittle more. See if you can get pedal feel back. I have a feeling bleeding those is a pain. I remember hearing there is no bleeder screw on those slaves..

Anyway, if you are convinced that it is bled as good as it can be, my only other suggestions would be to take it all back apart (i know...) and make sure its all installed correctly. Its quite possible that part of the hydraulic system took a crap during the clutch swap. Its not unheard of for a master or slave cylinder to be working fine before a clutch job, then for one of them to fail right after. Stranger things have happened...

I know that probably doesnt help you, but thats the route I would take.

Justin