Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sloppy shifter??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy shifter??

Ok, I just noticed this today, and i don't believe it did this before my mods. While the car is in gear going down the road, i can mover the shifter around about an inch from side to side and it just feels plain sloppy when shifting now when it used to be tight. I just put an ms4 cam and ls6 heads on and dynoed at 421rwhp and 395tq. Not real sure what the problem is, has anyone else had this problem and mods or is it normal? It doesn't pop out of gear or anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I would take of the shifter and see if the plastic bushing broke.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

Are you still using the stock or stock Hurst shifter??

If so, time for an upgrade. I highly reccommend the Pro 5.0. Its an excellent unit, and really tightens everything up nicely.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

The stock shifters do have some play in them when in gear. Don't go off other people's suggestions (no offense) when deciding what shifter to put in your car. If you can, test drive other fbodies with the shifters you're interested in and go from there. If not, read as many opinions as you can and decide from there which you're more comfortable with having in your car.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Chances are the bushing for the ball finally broke. I had a similar problem with mine but it ended up being the bolts that held in the shifter arm. Must have rattled loose from the poly mount i have. I will second the pro 5.0 shifter as well. If you do have the chance to drive other cars with shifter i would suggest it as well, everyone has their preferances.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

ok, yeah i think it will be the bushing on the shifter. I have done several hard shifts since i got done with the car. I'm about to pull the tranny anyway for a clutch, i will check it then. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Sloppy shifter??