Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fidanza Flywheel Wear Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fidanza Flywheel Wear Issues?

I installed a Fidanza flywheel a couple months ago and just recently had to pull my tranny so I decided to check on the flywheel just out of curiosity and well I am a bit confused because it doesn't appear to be wearing properly at all. SEE PIC. You will see that it's only showing wear on the inside and the outside of the plate, nowhere in the middle! I am running a SPEC stage 4 clutch and never had any wear issues with my stock FW. Has anyone else see this problem before? What would be the cause of this

Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

wow...that's wierd.

how many miles on it? is it holding good?

i have the fidanza and the Spec 4 on my car....had a very even contact pattern when i pulled it recently after 7K miles (busted hyd line).

Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Now that is what I would expect to see. Now that I think of it mine only has I would say less than 500 miles on it. I took it back apart because I have been getting some chatter here and there ever since I installed mine. I know that I have heard that they create some chatter but this seemed a little more unusual to me. After tearing everything apart I ended up putting my stock FW back it, drove it around and after driving around for about 30 min my tranny started to become hard to shift into any gear. On a hunch I decided to check my clutch fluid level and unbelievably it was EMPTY! I drove home, filled it up and now it's working perfect.

So now I am pretty sure that all this chatter was caused by there not being any fluid in there. I don't know where the hell the fluid went, I don't have ANY fluid leaking out ANYWHERE. Not to mention that I replaced my master and slave cyl about 8 months ago so they are both brand new. I have never ran low on clutch fluid EVER so it was definitely the last thing I ever thought to check.

But as far as the wear issue, maybe I haven't gave it enough time to fully seat. Like I said, the only reason I pulled it out in the first place was because it was causing more chatter that I would think is considered usual. But I think that was because of having no fluid.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

less than 500miles...and it was chattering....sounds normal to me.

you hadn't even finished breaking it in yet.

took me about 1000 miles to fully break the clutch in, up to that point it chattered all the time. but after 1000 miles...nothing.

when you replaced the hydrolics...you DID bleed them right??
Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by teke184
less than 500miles...and it was chattering....sounds normal to me.

you hadn't even finished breaking it in yet.

took me about 1000 miles to fully break the clutch in, up to that point it chattered all the time. but after 1000 miles...nothing.

when you replaced the hydrolics...you DID bleed them right??
OK that is what I thought, that I probably hadn't put enough miles on it yet. And yeah I bled the hydraulics right. The master and slave were replaced over 2 years ago and have been working perfect. Like I said though they weren't working because the clutch reservoir was empty which was causing the clutch not to release fully. I think I will end up pulling it all apart again and trying the Fidanza one more time since I found out that the damn fluid was low. I wish I would have thought to check that sooner but it was the last thing I would have thought to be wrong. I never seen clutch fluid just DISAPPEAR like that
Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

may want to replace the Slave while it's apart....you never know when it could be bad.

would suck to put it all together and have THAT be a problem piece.

$130 peace of mind