Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Should this be happening AFTER the trans rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should this be happening AFTER the trans rebuild?

I just got my trans rebuild and I have some general questions on how it should be after the rebuild.

I pretty much had them replace everything inside (minus the Viper option). All new all new slider keys, bronze fork pads, new blocker rings,steel 3-4 fork, new synros, etc. I don't have my receipt on hand, but that's about the just of it. All new stronger parts inside.

Now here is the issue I'm noticing:

Sometimes first and second are not there. It doesn't matter the RMP. It doesn't matter if I'm down shifting, or starting out. Sometimes it both gears, sometimes it just one or the other.

USUALLY if I try a different gear, they will come back and I can shift into them. Like if I'm sitting at a light, and go to shift into first, it's blocked out. I'll try second - and the same thing. I'll shift into third, and then it will let me go back into 1st or 2nd.

However, over the weekend, I was unable to get into 1st or 2nd. I was leaving a parking lot, and had to start in 3rd.

I called the shop about 3 weeks ago about the issue. They said it would take about 500-600 for everything to be fine inside. They said that after the miles, get a flush, and if it still happens, they will look at it.

I know jack about Trans. I don't know if this was a lie, or something that is suppose to happen. For some reason, I don't think this is the norm. I have zero confidence in this trans. None. Everytime I shift, I'm not sure if a gear will be there or not.

I plan on getting the fluid fushed very soon (it's been about 500 miles since the rebuild), and using a synthetic oil per their request.

I spent $1,400 on the rebuild, and don't think this should be the norm.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

You might want to get an adjustable master.....Check on the Mcleod
Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by getusum
You might want to get an adjustable master.....Check on the Mcleod
Since the car was a 2001, I thought I didn't need one?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the clutch isn't engaging and disengaging. Most people think it is always the transmission but 99% of the time it is related to the hydraulics.

Amber
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Sounds like the clutch isn't engaging and disengaging. Most people think it is always the transmission but 99% of the time it is related to the hydraulics.

Amber
If it is the hydraulics, what are the most common things that go wrong?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.

Amber
well, if milo was closer, Id just have him stop by and bleed the clutch again, but he's like 2 hours away. so, what can be wrong with the clutch to cause this? what milo neglected to say is, its a brand new LS2 flywheel, and LS7 clutch/press. plate. new throwout bearing and pilot bearing. there is no shim behind the throwout bearing as neither of us knew about that typical mod to put one in. I can tell you that the flywheel and clutch were bolted in as per GM tightening sequences and torqued to spec. (Im a GM tech, but I dont normally do any trans work).

so, do you think it could be like an air bubble in the hydraulics? he said he hasnt heard any grinding or anything like that. and, its intermetitant when this happens. sometimes workes smooth, sometimes no workie.

this has stock shifter, but I cant see how that could affect this. one more thing, the clutch release point was way down in the pedal travel, seems to me as i remember it was around halfway down. which I guess is prolly due to the fact that there's no shim. but its not like its on the floor or anything. just halfway down or so. Milo, does it feel like its in the same place?

anymore thoughts or opinions would be appreciated by milo and myself.

and, I remember from way back when when d&d was telling people NOT to use synthetic fluid in the trans? anyways it has new dexronIII in it now, as it says on the side of the trans.

chris
Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

anyone else? noone with this experience?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I have hydraulic problems in the past. I accidentally let the system go dry and then went nuts with a mity vac. I would be locked out of 1st and 2nd about 40% of the time. When the engine is not running, see if you can get all gears without problems. I was told that's a good indication that it's the hydraulics. Also, when the engine was running, I could get 1st and 2nd but would sometimes have to pump the pedal 4-5 times to build up pressure. I installed a new master, slave, slave extension and new fluid with a motive pressure bleeder and all has been fine since.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

well, thats promising that its possibly just air in the system. but, hopefully the slave cyl. isnt bad. replacing the master cyl. wouldnt be hard at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrEddie
I have hydraulic problems in the past. I accidentally let the system go dry and then went nuts with a mity vac. I would be locked out of 1st and 2nd about 40% of the time. When the engine is not running, see if you can get all gears without problems. I was told that's a good indication that it's the hydraulics. Also, when the engine was running, I could get 1st and 2nd but would sometimes have to pump the pedal 4-5 times to build up pressure. I installed a new master, slave, slave extension and new fluid with a motive pressure bleeder and all has been fine since.

That sounds a lot like my issue.

40% of the time, I can't use 1st or 2nd. If I pump the clutch, it works fine. If I leave the car off, I can move the gears around no problem. I only have problems when the car is on.

Does it sound like it's more then just air in the lines?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Anyone???
Old 06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The clutch itself might have been improperly installed.

The installer is supposed to install the clutch bolts like lugnuts, moving in a start pattern so that the clutch bolts all have even clamping load.

If they were installed improperly, it could cause what you are describing.

However, I had the same problem after a rebuild, and my tranny was missing a thrust washer. Mak'em take it apart.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

well, all advice is appreciated, but as stated above, it was most def. installed as per GM's torque sequence and bolt torque specs. I know since I put the clutch in there for milo.
hopefully we'll get the trans out of the car this fri. and have a look at the clutch/press plate, and make sure all bolts are still torqued properly. I talked to the trans guy at my dealership I work at, and he mentioned this same sort of problem on some LS2 GTO's around 1000 miles the press. plate bolts would loosen up, and basically the clutch would not fully apply.

my guess's are still master cyl. or internal trans. but im not sure what both gears could have in common? I could see if it was 1st gear or 2 gear, but both gears? and curious if it was something inside the trans, what would pumping th eclutch pedal have to do with it?

as I told milo, if its the press. plate bolts loose, I'll def. tell him as well as post it here. and Id fix it for free for him. but I just cant see how that can happen when I followed the setings/sequences to a T and used loctite. and it came with new bolts.

hopefully we'll figure this out by the weekend. ofcourse, if the trans goes back down the street to be taken apart, who knows how long D&D will take to get to it.

Quick Reply: Should this be happening AFTER the trans rebuild?